News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Entertainment brands spending more on longer, less effective, video ads
Entertainment brands are increasingly turning to rich media and video ad formats to align themselves with consumers' increasing use of video on mobile devices, according to a new report released by Vdopia.
In their analysis of entertainment brand mobile ad campaigns viewed by consumers in the UK, Vdopia found it to be the highest spending sector on mobile ad campaigns.
At the same time, they found that banner ads are falling out of favor with just 4% of mobile ads run by entertainment brands being in this format. Six months ago, banner ad formats accounted for 14% of mobile ads. Meanwhile, video and rich media formats now account for a whopping 96%.
"The mobile ad landscape transformation from static banners to more engaging and interactive video and rich media formats is astonishing," said Farzad Jamal, Vdopia's European vice president.
Another interesting finding coming out of the Vdopia Mobile Insights Report (July, 2014) is that shorter ads of around 10 seconds were far more effective than longer versions yet advertisers were spending more on longer ads.
Despite the finding that ten second ads are twice as effective as 20 second versions, ten second ads attracted just 3% of mobile video ad spend. Meanwhile, 20 and 30 second ads accounted for nearly three-quarters of ad spend yet were 27% and 13% less effective respectively.
The reason behind this, muses Jamal, is perhaps because brands are re-purposing television ads for mobile.
- Reports: Strong start to holiday season
- Expert: What will drive mobile in 2016
- More than half of consumers would pay for better customer care from preferred brands
- UK mobile email open rates at highest ever but conversions in decline
- More than three-quarters of all Black Friday mobile orders made on an Apple device
- Brands: How to better use reviews for your business
- How to keep customers loyal through the holidays
- 50% of Millennials will do most of their holiday shopping on Black Friday, Cyber Monday
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...