News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers' mobile tracking fears allayed with incentives
Consumers will put aside mobile tracking privacy concerns if rewarded with coupons, sales promotions and shorter checkout times, according to a new report from ad engagement firm PunchTab.
PunchTab's survey of more than 1,000 consumers found that despite privacy being the main concern surrounding mobile tracking a growing number are allowing the marketing strategy if given something in return.
Just over a quarter (27%) of consumers say they are 'likely' to allow a retailer to track their location via mobile if rewarded with coupons, faster checkout and other money and time saving items.
Coupons and offers were the most popular incentives for location sharing (88%), followed by shorter checkout times (72%) and targeted alerts about relevant products and sales promotions (69%). Furthermore, certain types of retailers were identified as being those consumers would most likely allow to track them - superstores (84%), department stores (78%), grocery stores (74%) and home improvement stores (60%).
Of the consumers who are yet to be convinced about sharing their location via mobile, half said they would be more incentivized to try it if the value of the reward increased.
"What we're seeing in this report is that consumers aren't hesitant about mobile tracking just because it's new and different. Some of the other main drivers include fears around receiving excessive and irrelevant marketing messages," said Robyn Hannah, VP of public relations and communications at PunchTab. "These fears can be allayed with incentives, but the catch is, marketers need to adopt a data-driven approach to understand where the 'sweet spot' lies."
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...