News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers' mobile tracking fears allayed with incentives
Consumers will put aside mobile tracking privacy concerns if rewarded with coupons, sales promotions and shorter checkout times, according to a new report from ad engagement firm PunchTab.
PunchTab's survey of more than 1,000 consumers found that despite privacy being the main concern surrounding mobile tracking a growing number are allowing the marketing strategy if given something in return.
Just over a quarter (27%) of consumers say they are 'likely' to allow a retailer to track their location via mobile if rewarded with coupons, faster checkout and other money and time saving items.
Coupons and offers were the most popular incentives for location sharing (88%), followed by shorter checkout times (72%) and targeted alerts about relevant products and sales promotions (69%). Furthermore, certain types of retailers were identified as being those consumers would most likely allow to track them - superstores (84%), department stores (78%), grocery stores (74%) and home improvement stores (60%).
Of the consumers who are yet to be convinced about sharing their location via mobile, half said they would be more incentivized to try it if the value of the reward increased.
"What we're seeing in this report is that consumers aren't hesitant about mobile tracking just because it's new and different. Some of the other main drivers include fears around receiving excessive and irrelevant marketing messages," said Robyn Hannah, VP of public relations and communications at PunchTab. "These fears can be allayed with incentives, but the catch is, marketers need to adopt a data-driven approach to understand where the 'sweet spot' lies."
- Expert: Why marketers should watch augmented reality
- Top 6 tips to set retailers up for the 2014 holidays
- Expert: How to better leverage content via mobile
- Blogs play an important role in the path to purchase
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
Featured White Papers
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....