News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers' mobile tracking fears allayed with incentives
Consumers will put aside mobile tracking privacy concerns if rewarded with coupons, sales promotions and shorter checkout times, according to a new report from ad engagement firm PunchTab.
PunchTab's survey of more than 1,000 consumers found that despite privacy being the main concern surrounding mobile tracking a growing number are allowing the marketing strategy if given something in return.
Just over a quarter (27%) of consumers say they are 'likely' to allow a retailer to track their location via mobile if rewarded with coupons, faster checkout and other money and time saving items.
Coupons and offers were the most popular incentives for location sharing (88%), followed by shorter checkout times (72%) and targeted alerts about relevant products and sales promotions (69%). Furthermore, certain types of retailers were identified as being those consumers would most likely allow to track them - superstores (84%), department stores (78%), grocery stores (74%) and home improvement stores (60%).
Of the consumers who are yet to be convinced about sharing their location via mobile, half said they would be more incentivized to try it if the value of the reward increased.
"What we're seeing in this report is that consumers aren't hesitant about mobile tracking just because it's new and different. Some of the other main drivers include fears around receiving excessive and irrelevant marketing messages," said Robyn Hannah, VP of public relations and communications at PunchTab. "These fears can be allayed with incentives, but the catch is, marketers need to adopt a data-driven approach to understand where the 'sweet spot' lies."
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
- Survey: Hispanic SMBs show strong optimism
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, integration to bring brands more
- Report: Super Bowl ads drove traffic into stores
- Top tips to reduce involuntary churn
- Smart Glasses that look like regular specs will invigorate market
- Less than 1 in 5 CRM managers feel they contribute to business revenues
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...