News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumer trust in branded content on a par with editorial
Do consumers trust branded content more, or less, than they trust content from brands? According to Vibrant Media's latest research, there is not a lot in it.
Vibrant Media's research comes in the wake of a recent episode of Last Week Tonight in which John Oliver took on the rise of native advertising. Oliver's entertaining take on the topic is well worth a watch.
However, Vibrant Media's research has found that just two percent more consumers trust content from publications than from brands - 35% versus 33%.
On the flipside, more consumers distrust content from publications (18%) than brands (15.5%).
When it comes to media titles and brands with which consumers are familiar, the number that distrust content is 12%, twice as many as those who distrust from brands they know (6%).
According to Craig Gooding, executive chairman and founder of Vibrant Media, it is surprising to see that the level of trust in branded content is on a par with editorial.
"The higher levels of distrust in publishers' content than branded content shows far less cynicism about branded content than we expected," says Gooding. "The findings have reassured us that publishers who offer branded content, or are considering doing so, are not compromising their relationship with consumers - as long as they do so responsibly."
Responsibility and transparency is important. Half of respondents to Vibrant Media's survey said they felt it was important to be informed that an advertiser has paid for content.
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...