News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumer trust in branded content on a par with editorial
Do consumers trust branded content more, or less, than they trust content from brands? According to Vibrant Media's latest research, there is not a lot in it.
Vibrant Media's research comes in the wake of a recent episode of Last Week Tonight in which John Oliver took on the rise of native advertising. Oliver's entertaining take on the topic is well worth a watch.
However, Vibrant Media's research has found that just two percent more consumers trust content from publications than from brands - 35% versus 33%.
On the flipside, more consumers distrust content from publications (18%) than brands (15.5%).
When it comes to media titles and brands with which consumers are familiar, the number that distrust content is 12%, twice as many as those who distrust from brands they know (6%).
According to Craig Gooding, executive chairman and founder of Vibrant Media, it is surprising to see that the level of trust in branded content is on a par with editorial.
"The higher levels of distrust in publishers' content than branded content shows far less cynicism about branded content than we expected," says Gooding. "The findings have reassured us that publishers who offer branded content, or are considering doing so, are not compromising their relationship with consumers - as long as they do so responsibly."
Responsibility and transparency is important. Half of respondents to Vibrant Media's survey said they felt it was important to be informed that an advertiser has paid for content.
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...