News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
A survey by Accenture reveals that physical stores remain popular with parents when it comes to embarking on their kids' back-to-school shopping spree.
According to Accenture's managing director, Dave Richards, any notion that physical stores are dying "is not borne out" by the results of a recent survey in which 500 parents of kindergarten- to college-age children were questioned about where they would be purchasing back to school products.
In fact, 89% of parents said they would be visiting stores to save on delivery charges and also to get their hands on a product before making a purchase decision.
However, the stores they visit will largely be determined by online searches, or 'webrooming', to help them determine a store's pricing and inventory.
Checking to see whether a store had an item in stock was the primary reason given for webrooming (47%), closely followed by avoiding shipping costs (43%), handling a product before purchase (43%) and asking stores to match lower prices found elsewhere (33%).
"The fact that the majority of parents we surveyed plan to participate in webrooming underscores the significance of having a consistent and convenient experience across all retail touchpoints," says Richards. "Customers have to have the current information at their fingertips. Retailers need to look at how to integrate interactive experiences that connect in-store shopping experiences with omnichannel capabilities."
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...