News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Twitter preps for new generation of commerce experiences
In the same week that Facebook announced the trial of a 'Buy' button in advertisers' posts and ads, Twitter has announced the acquisition of payments startup Cardspring.
Last week, Facebook announced a new ad and post format is being tested that prompts users to click, or tap, a 'Buy' button in ads or posts on their newsfeed. This action will enable them to purchase directly from the retailer without having to leave the social network.
In the same vein, Twitter is now looking to make it just as easy to make a purchase as it is to send short messages with the acquisition of CardSpring, an application platform that enables the development of offers, loyalty programs, coupons and virtual currencies that work with credit cards and other payment formats.
According to Nathan Hubbard, Twitter head of commerce, CardSpring staff and their technology are "a great fit with our philosophy regarding the best ways to bring in-the-moment commerce experiences to our users".
Such "in-the-moment" experiences might be online-to-offline promotions that allow businesses Followers to activate a code on their credit card for use when they shop at a retailer's physical store. This new level of functionality ups the benefits of Twitter to more than just Tweets and Followers and allows businesses to create an additional commerce channel.
Image via Shutterstock
- Binge-watching shedding its negative connotations
- Amazon flexing its delivery options in the UK
- Shoppers using mobile for BTS shopping
- Study: Most consumers satisfied with e-gift card buys
- Mobile's role in back to school shopping on the rise
- Report reveals tablet preferences and ownership differences between UK, US, and Oz
- Top 3 tips to improve SMS strategy
- Ecommerce Roundup: Platforms to simplify connection
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...