News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to create engaging in-game ads
RockYou is a cross-platform game publisher with a premium video ad network running through our content. With more than 50 games, the company sells video ads that play before and within the gaming experience, so they know what is working to engage players. Here are their top 3 tips to create a better in-game ad experience.
First, cater to the mood.
"You have to think about the mindset of a player - they're taking an interactive break from the daily grind and in their happy place," said Lisa Marino, RockYou CEO. "So, more entertaining and humor-based ads tend to really well in gaming. Fear- and guilt-based ads (for instance, an ad about how you're not giving your kid the right vitamins) don't do great. Keep players feeling good and you'll likely see much higher completion rates."
Second, optimize the ads for web and mobile screens - don't repurpose old television ads because they are too long. According to Marino repurposed ads, which average around 30 seconds, will kill engagement and therefore campaign metrics, where a new 15 second ad should help with completion rates.
Finally, target to your audience.
"Any game publisher should have detailed metrics on hand about who their game reaches--age, gender, location, etc. So, it's relatively easy to target your ad to the right audience. Putting a diaper ad in front of a bingo game, which tends to be played by a lot of older adults, is probably not the greatest idea! If you have a product with mass appeal, it's also worth creating a set of ads catering to different demos and then placing them in games reaching those demos," said Marino.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- How dark social can impact brand
- Webrooming parents heading to physical stores for back-to-school purchases
- 43% of all traffic to travel websites now comes from mobile
- Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
- Reports: Back to school stressing parents
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...