News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Tablets go mainstream in UK, play key role in digital lives
Kantar Media's FutureProof study reveals the continuing popularity of tablets. The devices have become mainstream in the UK with almost half of the country's 16-44 year olds owning or having access to one.
Forty-five percent of UK adults now own a tablet, according to Kantar Media. That's up from 36% at the end of 2013. Among those of ages 35-44 penetration rises to 58%, some of whom have more than one tablet in their household.
Tablets have become the 'go to' mobile device for catching up with television shows. More people access the BBC's iPlayer catch up service on a tablet than via any other device, probably due to the larger screen size.
Apple remains the market leader with 56% of tablet users owning an iPad, although this is a decrease from six months ago when 63% owned an iPad. Meanwhile, Android ownership is up - more than a third (37%) of tablet owners now own an Android up 10 percentage points from last year.
However, despite being a mobile device many (44%) never take their tablet out of the home.
According to Kantar Media Custom director, Trevor Vagg, tablets are now a "need to have" device rather than simply "nice to have" and are rapidly becoming an important part of people's digital lives.
"The arrival of cheaper Android based tablets such as Tesco's Hudl and the Kindle Fire has turned what was a premium device into something that's much more ubiquitous but also increasingly as personal as the smartphone we use when we are on the go," says Vagg. "These shifts open new doors for advertisers in terms of targeted messaging opportunities."
Recent Usablenet forecasts show that more tablets will be shipped in 2015 than desktops and laptops combined.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Most want loyalty to be mobile
- Expert: Data key to video strategy
- Study: Half of loyalty club members want retail redemption options
- Unilever to up digital spend following display ad trial
- FreeWheel: Video ad views up 24% YoY
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...