News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Swrve: Report reveals one third of apps get only one minute of attention
New benchmarks for mobile app performance have been released by mobile marketing automation platform Swrve, and they reveal just how important the initial app experience is to retention.
Analysis of real data from millions of users across more than 50 apps during May, 2014, shows that more than a third (34.1%) of mobile app engagements last less than 60 seconds. This, says Christopher S. Dean, CEO of Swrve, highlights the importance of making a good impression within a very short space of time.
In terms of retention, Swrve's data shows just 26% of users return to an app between 24 to 48 hours of first opening it. However, far more (74%) wait fair longer than 48 hours before opening an app for a second time and some never return to it.
App use peaks during the primetime evening period, although they are used throughout the working day. To most effectively engage users during their app sessions Swrve suggests the use of in-app messaging which, their research shows, generates a significant click-through rate of 37%.
When it comes to sharing content from a mobile app, very few do so - just 8% share at least once a month. However, of those that do share, 15% do so more than five times in a month.
Today's most successful companies are focused on ways to engage their audiences in smart and consistent ways - and that means mobile," said Dean. "But this data confirms that building relationships on mobile is hard."
Earlier this month Nielsen released data showing that there is an upper limit to how many apps a mobile user can engage with in any one month. That number is 26.8, just a small increase on the 23.3 apps per month reported at the end of 2011. That's despite the huge increase in the number of apps available.
What has changed, says Nielsen, is the amount of time spent using them.
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...