News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Swrve: Report reveals one third of apps get only one minute of attention
New benchmarks for mobile app performance have been released by mobile marketing automation platform Swrve, and they reveal just how important the initial app experience is to retention.
Analysis of real data from millions of users across more than 50 apps during May, 2014, shows that more than a third (34.1%) of mobile app engagements last less than 60 seconds. This, says Christopher S. Dean, CEO of Swrve, highlights the importance of making a good impression within a very short space of time.
In terms of retention, Swrve's data shows just 26% of users return to an app between 24 to 48 hours of first opening it. However, far more (74%) wait fair longer than 48 hours before opening an app for a second time and some never return to it.
App use peaks during the primetime evening period, although they are used throughout the working day. To most effectively engage users during their app sessions Swrve suggests the use of in-app messaging which, their research shows, generates a significant click-through rate of 37%.
When it comes to sharing content from a mobile app, very few do so - just 8% share at least once a month. However, of those that do share, 15% do so more than five times in a month.
Today's most successful companies are focused on ways to engage their audiences in smart and consistent ways - and that means mobile," said Dean. "But this data confirms that building relationships on mobile is hard."
Earlier this month Nielsen released data showing that there is an upper limit to how many apps a mobile user can engage with in any one month. That number is 26.8, just a small increase on the 23.3 apps per month reported at the end of 2011. That's despite the huge increase in the number of apps available.
What has changed, says Nielsen, is the amount of time spent using them.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....