News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Swrve: Report reveals one third of apps get only one minute of attention
New benchmarks for mobile app performance have been released by mobile marketing automation platform Swrve, and they reveal just how important the initial app experience is to retention.
Analysis of real data from millions of users across more than 50 apps during May, 2014, shows that more than a third (34.1%) of mobile app engagements last less than 60 seconds. This, says Christopher S. Dean, CEO of Swrve, highlights the importance of making a good impression within a very short space of time.
In terms of retention, Swrve's data shows just 26% of users return to an app between 24 to 48 hours of first opening it. However, far more (74%) wait fair longer than 48 hours before opening an app for a second time and some never return to it.
App use peaks during the primetime evening period, although they are used throughout the working day. To most effectively engage users during their app sessions Swrve suggests the use of in-app messaging which, their research shows, generates a significant click-through rate of 37%.
When it comes to sharing content from a mobile app, very few do so - just 8% share at least once a month. However, of those that do share, 15% do so more than five times in a month.
Today's most successful companies are focused on ways to engage their audiences in smart and consistent ways - and that means mobile," said Dean. "But this data confirms that building relationships on mobile is hard."
Earlier this month Nielsen released data showing that there is an upper limit to how many apps a mobile user can engage with in any one month. That number is 26.8, just a small increase on the 23.3 apps per month reported at the end of 2011. That's despite the huge increase in the number of apps available.
What has changed, says Nielsen, is the amount of time spent using them.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...