News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
Don't distract the gamers. That is the takeaway from a new MediaSpike report which found a majority of mobile gamers find that ads served during game breaks are distracting - and unwanted. According to the research even display ads fared better than ads served during these breaks.
If you want to engage gamers, don't try it during game breaks. Not even those 'natural' stopping points. According to new research ads served during game breaks were the least likely to result in customer interactions.
Some interesting takeaways from the MediaSpike report include:
• 36% say ads shown during game breaks were 'least preferred'
• 11% say they 'prefer' game break ads
• 21% say they're 'likely to interact' with banner ads
• 9% say they're 'likely to interact' with game break ads
"Tapping mobile to reach target audiences is critical for today's marketers, and gaming represents the most promising frontier. Unfortunately, this research shows that today's most common approaches, such as serving ads at breaks in gameplay, are missing the mark." said John McCrea, chief marketing officer of MediaSpike. "While the research results may come as a surprise to some, they make intuitive sense. Gaming commands more intense focus than any other medium, making it really difficult to connect using conventional approaches. But the great news is that if you integrate a brand natively into actual gameplay, you create advertising that people see, interact with, and actually like."
Where should brands serve ads to mobile gamers? In the game, believe it or not. MediaSpike's research found campaigns that are integrated within the game were both 'most preferred' (40%) and 'most likely to be interacted with' (38%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...