News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
Don't distract the gamers. That is the takeaway from a new MediaSpike report which found a majority of mobile gamers find that ads served during game breaks are distracting - and unwanted. According to the research even display ads fared better than ads served during these breaks.
If you want to engage gamers, don't try it during game breaks. Not even those 'natural' stopping points. According to new research ads served during game breaks were the least likely to result in customer interactions.
Some interesting takeaways from the MediaSpike report include:
• 36% say ads shown during game breaks were 'least preferred'
• 11% say they 'prefer' game break ads
• 21% say they're 'likely to interact' with banner ads
• 9% say they're 'likely to interact' with game break ads
"Tapping mobile to reach target audiences is critical for today's marketers, and gaming represents the most promising frontier. Unfortunately, this research shows that today's most common approaches, such as serving ads at breaks in gameplay, are missing the mark." said John McCrea, chief marketing officer of MediaSpike. "While the research results may come as a surprise to some, they make intuitive sense. Gaming commands more intense focus than any other medium, making it really difficult to connect using conventional approaches. But the great news is that if you integrate a brand natively into actual gameplay, you create advertising that people see, interact with, and actually like."
Where should brands serve ads to mobile gamers? In the game, believe it or not. MediaSpike's research found campaigns that are integrated within the game were both 'most preferred' (40%) and 'most likely to be interacted with' (38%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....