News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Gamers don't want interruptions
Don't distract the gamers. That is the takeaway from a new MediaSpike report which found a majority of mobile gamers find that ads served during game breaks are distracting - and unwanted. According to the research even display ads fared better than ads served during these breaks.
If you want to engage gamers, don't try it during game breaks. Not even those 'natural' stopping points. According to new research ads served during game breaks were the least likely to result in customer interactions.
Some interesting takeaways from the MediaSpike report include:
• 36% say ads shown during game breaks were 'least preferred'
• 11% say they 'prefer' game break ads
• 21% say they're 'likely to interact' with banner ads
• 9% say they're 'likely to interact' with game break ads
"Tapping mobile to reach target audiences is critical for today's marketers, and gaming represents the most promising frontier. Unfortunately, this research shows that today's most common approaches, such as serving ads at breaks in gameplay, are missing the mark." said John McCrea, chief marketing officer of MediaSpike. "While the research results may come as a surprise to some, they make intuitive sense. Gaming commands more intense focus than any other medium, making it really difficult to connect using conventional approaches. But the great news is that if you integrate a brand natively into actual gameplay, you create advertising that people see, interact with, and actually like."
Where should brands serve ads to mobile gamers? In the game, believe it or not. MediaSpike's research found campaigns that are integrated within the game were both 'most preferred' (40%) and 'most likely to be interacted with' (38%).
Image via Shutterstock
- Why do online shoppers switch between devices between research and purchase?
- Video ad budgets increasingly diversifying beyond pre-roll
- Reports: Mobile, deals important to shoppers
- Expert: How brands can use social data
- Study finds 2/3s purchase via mobile
- Consumers shun search engines for retail sites during product discovery
- Trust holding back sharing economy adoption
- Top tips to improve cash flow
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...