News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: For certain items, in-person shopping still preferred
Though the bulk of Americans have made a purchase online, there are still things they'd prefer to shop for in person. That is the takeaway from a new Harris Poll out this week. According to researchers more than two-thirds (69%) of Americans say they've made at least one purchase online.
Digital goods and clothing top the list of things American shoppers are comfortable buying online. In addition, a recent Harris Poll found 54% of Americans have purchased handbags or shoes online while nearly half (49%) say they've purchased personal electronics. Still, there are items most would prefer to buy in-store. Researchers found:
• 78% prefer to buy food in-store
• 67% prefer to buy over the counter meds in person
• 58% prefer to buy prescription meds in person
• 57% prefer to buy personal grooming products in-store
As for who is buying online, Millennials and Gen-Xers lead the way in all categories save the medical categories where Seniors and Boomers lead the way. The study also found women were most likely to purchase clothing/accessories online while men were most likley to have purchased digital content and personal electronics online.
How can brands get even more people to buy even more things online? Shipping leads the list of ways. The report found:
• 81% say they'd buy more online if shipping were free
• 70% say they'd buy more if return shipping was included for returns/exchanges
• 55% say in-store return options would influence their online buys
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...