News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: For certain items, in-person shopping still preferred
Though the bulk of Americans have made a purchase online, there are still things they'd prefer to shop for in person. That is the takeaway from a new Harris Poll out this week. According to researchers more than two-thirds (69%) of Americans say they've made at least one purchase online.
Digital goods and clothing top the list of things American shoppers are comfortable buying online. In addition, a recent Harris Poll found 54% of Americans have purchased handbags or shoes online while nearly half (49%) say they've purchased personal electronics. Still, there are items most would prefer to buy in-store. Researchers found:
• 78% prefer to buy food in-store
• 67% prefer to buy over the counter meds in person
• 58% prefer to buy prescription meds in person
• 57% prefer to buy personal grooming products in-store
As for who is buying online, Millennials and Gen-Xers lead the way in all categories save the medical categories where Seniors and Boomers lead the way. The study also found women were most likely to purchase clothing/accessories online while men were most likley to have purchased digital content and personal electronics online.
How can brands get even more people to buy even more things online? Shipping leads the list of ways. The report found:
• 81% say they'd buy more online if shipping were free
• 70% say they'd buy more if return shipping was included for returns/exchanges
• 55% say in-store return options would influence their online buys
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...