News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: For certain items, in-person shopping still preferred
Though the bulk of Americans have made a purchase online, there are still things they'd prefer to shop for in person. That is the takeaway from a new Harris Poll out this week. According to researchers more than two-thirds (69%) of Americans say they've made at least one purchase online.
Digital goods and clothing top the list of things American shoppers are comfortable buying online. In addition, a recent Harris Poll found 54% of Americans have purchased handbags or shoes online while nearly half (49%) say they've purchased personal electronics. Still, there are items most would prefer to buy in-store. Researchers found:
• 78% prefer to buy food in-store
• 67% prefer to buy over the counter meds in person
• 58% prefer to buy prescription meds in person
• 57% prefer to buy personal grooming products in-store
As for who is buying online, Millennials and Gen-Xers lead the way in all categories save the medical categories where Seniors and Boomers lead the way. The study also found women were most likely to purchase clothing/accessories online while men were most likley to have purchased digital content and personal electronics online.
How can brands get even more people to buy even more things online? Shipping leads the list of ways. The report found:
• 81% say they'd buy more online if shipping were free
• 70% say they'd buy more if return shipping was included for returns/exchanges
• 55% say in-store return options would influence their online buys
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...