News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: For certain items, in-person shopping still preferred
Though the bulk of Americans have made a purchase online, there are still things they'd prefer to shop for in person. That is the takeaway from a new Harris Poll out this week. According to researchers more than two-thirds (69%) of Americans say they've made at least one purchase online.
Digital goods and clothing top the list of things American shoppers are comfortable buying online. In addition, a recent Harris Poll found 54% of Americans have purchased handbags or shoes online while nearly half (49%) say they've purchased personal electronics. Still, there are items most would prefer to buy in-store. Researchers found:
• 78% prefer to buy food in-store
• 67% prefer to buy over the counter meds in person
• 58% prefer to buy prescription meds in person
• 57% prefer to buy personal grooming products in-store
As for who is buying online, Millennials and Gen-Xers lead the way in all categories save the medical categories where Seniors and Boomers lead the way. The study also found women were most likely to purchase clothing/accessories online while men were most likley to have purchased digital content and personal electronics online.
How can brands get even more people to buy even more things online? Shipping leads the list of ways. The report found:
• 81% say they'd buy more online if shipping were free
• 70% say they'd buy more if return shipping was included for returns/exchanges
• 55% say in-store return options would influence their online buys
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...