News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
Many US families are already hip-deep in notebooks and pens, new shoes and jeans for the back to school year, but there are still many left to shop for these items. And, surprisingly, nearly half say Amazon is influencing their buys - both online and in-store.
According to new research out from Baynote most parents (70%) plan to shop with their children in stores while about one-third will shop online with their child taking part in choices. And, while 85% say childrens' wish lists help them choose, about three-quarters (79%) are also relying on product reviews. Nearly half (40%) say they're using mobile devices in store to compare prices on Amazon.
"While parents are the primary buyers of back-to-school supplies and apparel, their student's opinions play an important role in the purchase decision," said Lauren Freedman, president, e-tailing group. "So it is important for retailers to understand how the entire family - both parents and students - are being influenced, especially as the social and mobile channels continue to gain traction."
"We wanted to discover what is motivating buyers this back-to-school season and how retailers should adjust to capitalize on their changing shopping behaviors," said Marti Tedesco, Senior Director, Corporate Marketing at Baynote. "As consumer expectations rise and stores like Amazon continue to dominate, it is more important than ever that retailers understand how and why consumers are making purchases so they can tailor the shopping experience accordingly."
Other interesting findings include:
• 49% will use mobile devices in-store to redeem coupons
• 34% say they'll use smartphones to research products
• 23% say they'll use a smartphone to buy products
• 84% say they'll opt for free shipping offers
• 80% say they'll look for email promotions
• 64% say they'll look for flash sales or social network promotions
Image via Shutterstock
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
- Are your employees stifling yawns during status meetings?
- Survey reveals the odd places consumers shop by mobile
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
- AdRoll: Study finds retargeting focus for most brands
- Study: Power of Hispanic shoppers growing
- Report: News, media sites opening slow in mobile
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...