News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
Many US families are already hip-deep in notebooks and pens, new shoes and jeans for the back to school year, but there are still many left to shop for these items. And, surprisingly, nearly half say Amazon is influencing their buys - both online and in-store.
According to new research out from Baynote most parents (70%) plan to shop with their children in stores while about one-third will shop online with their child taking part in choices. And, while 85% say childrens' wish lists help them choose, about three-quarters (79%) are also relying on product reviews. Nearly half (40%) say they're using mobile devices in store to compare prices on Amazon.
"While parents are the primary buyers of back-to-school supplies and apparel, their student's opinions play an important role in the purchase decision," said Lauren Freedman, president, e-tailing group. "So it is important for retailers to understand how the entire family - both parents and students - are being influenced, especially as the social and mobile channels continue to gain traction."
"We wanted to discover what is motivating buyers this back-to-school season and how retailers should adjust to capitalize on their changing shopping behaviors," said Marti Tedesco, Senior Director, Corporate Marketing at Baynote. "As consumer expectations rise and stores like Amazon continue to dominate, it is more important than ever that retailers understand how and why consumers are making purchases so they can tailor the shopping experience accordingly."
Other interesting findings include:
• 49% will use mobile devices in-store to redeem coupons
• 34% say they'll use smartphones to research products
• 23% say they'll use a smartphone to buy products
• 84% say they'll opt for free shipping offers
• 80% say they'll look for email promotions
• 64% say they'll look for flash sales or social network promotions
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
- Marketing spend on social to rise from 11% to a quarter of budget
- Checking email chews up 6.3 hours per day
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...