News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Survey: Amazon influencing back to school shoppers
Many US families are already hip-deep in notebooks and pens, new shoes and jeans for the back to school year, but there are still many left to shop for these items. And, surprisingly, nearly half say Amazon is influencing their buys - both online and in-store.
According to new research out from Baynote most parents (70%) plan to shop with their children in stores while about one-third will shop online with their child taking part in choices. And, while 85% say childrens' wish lists help them choose, about three-quarters (79%) are also relying on product reviews. Nearly half (40%) say they're using mobile devices in store to compare prices on Amazon.
"While parents are the primary buyers of back-to-school supplies and apparel, their student's opinions play an important role in the purchase decision," said Lauren Freedman, president, e-tailing group. "So it is important for retailers to understand how the entire family - both parents and students - are being influenced, especially as the social and mobile channels continue to gain traction."
"We wanted to discover what is motivating buyers this back-to-school season and how retailers should adjust to capitalize on their changing shopping behaviors," said Marti Tedesco, Senior Director, Corporate Marketing at Baynote. "As consumer expectations rise and stores like Amazon continue to dominate, it is more important than ever that retailers understand how and why consumers are making purchases so they can tailor the shopping experience accordingly."
Other interesting findings include:
• 49% will use mobile devices in-store to redeem coupons
• 34% say they'll use smartphones to research products
• 23% say they'll use a smartphone to buy products
• 84% say they'll opt for free shipping offers
• 80% say they'll look for email promotions
• 64% say they'll look for flash sales or social network promotions
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
- UK brands fail to improve customer service response rates
- 53% of marketers crave more customer data
- Mother's Day: Flowers a popular gift, but Mom wants tech
- UK: Online spending and deliveries break records
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...