News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Studies show youths viewing less TV while overall pay TV increases
Two new studies point to a switch in Americans' television habits: one shows a decrease in television viewing while the other points to fewer viewers cutting back on pay TV services. Seem contradictory? Maybe not.
First, from Nielsen, new data shows Millennials (age 18-24) are decreasing how much television they watch. According to their numbers these viewers watched less than 22 hours per week (traditional TV) during Q1 2014. That is down 95 minutes Year over Year. This change in habits could be a reflection of more people watching online programming/streaming services. Nielsen's data also shows television is still the reigning champion for viewership.
Meanwhile, new data out from Harris Interactive indicates that, overall, Americans are watching the same amount of pay television. The survey shows only about one-fifth (22%) said they cancelled/cut back on cable TV service over the previous 6 months; the last survey showed nearly the same percentages.
Other interesting details from the report include:
• GenX viewers are most likely to cut back on cable TV
• Boomers are most likely to have cut out a magazine subscription
• 56% said they purchased generic brands, last year 62% said the same
Researchers also found American shoppers are cutting back less. According to their new survey about one-quarter (24%) of American cancelled a magazine subscription over the past 6 months; last year nearly one-third (29%) said they cancelled a subscription.
Image via Shutterstock
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...