News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Studies show youths viewing less TV while overall pay TV increases
Two new studies point to a switch in Americans' television habits: one shows a decrease in television viewing while the other points to fewer viewers cutting back on pay TV services. Seem contradictory? Maybe not.
First, from Nielsen, new data shows Millennials (age 18-24) are decreasing how much television they watch. According to their numbers these viewers watched less than 22 hours per week (traditional TV) during Q1 2014. That is down 95 minutes Year over Year. This change in habits could be a reflection of more people watching online programming/streaming services. Nielsen's data also shows television is still the reigning champion for viewership.
Meanwhile, new data out from Harris Interactive indicates that, overall, Americans are watching the same amount of pay television. The survey shows only about one-fifth (22%) said they cancelled/cut back on cable TV service over the previous 6 months; the last survey showed nearly the same percentages.
Other interesting details from the report include:
• GenX viewers are most likely to cut back on cable TV
• Boomers are most likely to have cut out a magazine subscription
• 56% said they purchased generic brands, last year 62% said the same
Researchers also found American shoppers are cutting back less. According to their new survey about one-quarter (24%) of American cancelled a magazine subscription over the past 6 months; last year nearly one-third (29%) said they cancelled a subscription.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad viewability levels down across Europe
- Virtual Reality: Seeing, and trying, is believing and buying
- Expert: Retail's trends to watch
- Mobile Roundup: Platforms to simplify work, personal lives
- Report: Fraud attacks up 80%
- Marketers value startups for their passion, drive, and technological prowess
- How mobile is changing retail
- ECommerce Roundup: Platforms to simplify shopper interaction
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...