News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
Consumers today are increasingly discovering products via social commerce websites yet, according to new research from Kenshoo and DataPop, very few retailers are posting their products on such websites.
According to Kenshoo and DataPop's inaugural 'Search and Social Commerce Index', search sites such as Google and Bing continue to be huge drivers of traffic.
However, social commerce websites such as Pinterest and Polyvore are also driving sales, high quality sales, yet many retailers are not posting their products to such sites. Kenshoo's analysis of more than 40 retailers and their 2.9 million published products found that just 1.7% of products are being posted on social commerce properties.
Retailers are also missing out on product coverage by failing to post products within those categories that consumers search for most often. Just 7.2% of products in these categories were posted to social commerce sites.
And finally, retailers aren't tailoring their social content to suit search behaviors of consumers on social commerce websites. Most (70%) use product names for social post titles whereas most consumers are searching by product attribute such as color, material, style and even size.
"With search and social driving 54% of traffic to retailers' sites, the two have become the most important channels going into this holiday season," says Tal Halpern, product manager at DataPop. "Retailers should use the index to better understand the opportunity to merchandise across the channels, both through understanding the current industry benchmarks as well the industry opportunities."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...