News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
Consumers today are increasingly discovering products via social commerce websites yet, according to new research from Kenshoo and DataPop, very few retailers are posting their products on such websites.
According to Kenshoo and DataPop's inaugural 'Search and Social Commerce Index', search sites such as Google and Bing continue to be huge drivers of traffic.
However, social commerce websites such as Pinterest and Polyvore are also driving sales, high quality sales, yet many retailers are not posting their products to such sites. Kenshoo's analysis of more than 40 retailers and their 2.9 million published products found that just 1.7% of products are being posted on social commerce properties.
Retailers are also missing out on product coverage by failing to post products within those categories that consumers search for most often. Just 7.2% of products in these categories were posted to social commerce sites.
And finally, retailers aren't tailoring their social content to suit search behaviors of consumers on social commerce websites. Most (70%) use product names for social post titles whereas most consumers are searching by product attribute such as color, material, style and even size.
"With search and social driving 54% of traffic to retailers' sites, the two have become the most important channels going into this holiday season," says Tal Halpern, product manager at DataPop. "Retailers should use the index to better understand the opportunity to merchandise across the channels, both through understanding the current industry benchmarks as well the industry opportunities."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...