News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
Consumers today are increasingly discovering products via social commerce websites yet, according to new research from Kenshoo and DataPop, very few retailers are posting their products on such websites.
According to Kenshoo and DataPop's inaugural 'Search and Social Commerce Index', search sites such as Google and Bing continue to be huge drivers of traffic.
However, social commerce websites such as Pinterest and Polyvore are also driving sales, high quality sales, yet many retailers are not posting their products to such sites. Kenshoo's analysis of more than 40 retailers and their 2.9 million published products found that just 1.7% of products are being posted on social commerce properties.
Retailers are also missing out on product coverage by failing to post products within those categories that consumers search for most often. Just 7.2% of products in these categories were posted to social commerce sites.
And finally, retailers aren't tailoring their social content to suit search behaviors of consumers on social commerce websites. Most (70%) use product names for social post titles whereas most consumers are searching by product attribute such as color, material, style and even size.
"With search and social driving 54% of traffic to retailers' sites, the two have become the most important channels going into this holiday season," says Tal Halpern, product manager at DataPop. "Retailers should use the index to better understand the opportunity to merchandise across the channels, both through understanding the current industry benchmarks as well the industry opportunities."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
- Social Roundup: Rolling out for Instagram
- Brands: How to engage Millennials in your work force
- Top 3 tips to monetize traffic
- U.S. presidential elections: Digital media use up, television still dominant
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...