News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
Consumers today are increasingly discovering products via social commerce websites yet, according to new research from Kenshoo and DataPop, very few retailers are posting their products on such websites.
According to Kenshoo and DataPop's inaugural 'Search and Social Commerce Index', search sites such as Google and Bing continue to be huge drivers of traffic.
However, social commerce websites such as Pinterest and Polyvore are also driving sales, high quality sales, yet many retailers are not posting their products to such sites. Kenshoo's analysis of more than 40 retailers and their 2.9 million published products found that just 1.7% of products are being posted on social commerce properties.
Retailers are also missing out on product coverage by failing to post products within those categories that consumers search for most often. Just 7.2% of products in these categories were posted to social commerce sites.
And finally, retailers aren't tailoring their social content to suit search behaviors of consumers on social commerce websites. Most (70%) use product names for social post titles whereas most consumers are searching by product attribute such as color, material, style and even size.
"With search and social driving 54% of traffic to retailers' sites, the two have become the most important channels going into this holiday season," says Tal Halpern, product manager at DataPop. "Retailers should use the index to better understand the opportunity to merchandise across the channels, both through understanding the current industry benchmarks as well the industry opportunities."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...