News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report: Half of marketers say they struggle with personalization
Personalization has been the buzzword of the past few years. Personalization based on search preferences, social networks, past purchases. Yet marketers are still struggling to personalize at scale according to a new report out from Neustar and Digiday; 53% of executives surveyed said they 'always' or often' struggle to personalize marketing messages at scale.
Executives know personalization works to improve engagment, but getting that personalization down at scale remains a struggle. That is the takeaway from a new Neustar report which shows a majority of executives surveyed struggled to keep costs down when it comes to personalization.
"I'm amazed at the number of advertisers who are still buying digital media on a context basis; i.e. buying on a specific website because that's where you think your users are. When you begin to layer in audience targeting, you often begin to see a very different picture of who your buyers really are, which you can then utilize to scale your efforts in those areas," said Rob Gatto, SVP Media and Advertising, Neustar. "It's not at all surprising that when marketers use audience data to target campaigns, the return on investment increases - and there are also residual effects that they haven't gotten to yet. You can figure out not only what your audience looks like, but who is taking the actions, how to find more of those folks, and how to scale that level of audience so you can spend your money more efficiently."
Some interesting findings from the report include:
• One-third say poor/incomplete customer data is the biggest obstacle
• One-quarter say making data actionable is the biggest obstacle
• 60% say better data and better marketing platforms would make scaling personalization better
To help brands succeed at personalization, Neustar is releasing the A-Z of Personalized Marketing, a guide set up to give marketers a better view of personalization at scale.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Partnership, targeting to give brands more insights
- Expert: Why surveys may not offer all advertisers' questions
- Expert: Look for native to continue strong growth
- U.S. in-store and mobile retail experience found wanting
- Brits more interested in smart home tech than wearable tech
- Is TripAdvisor a gateway app?
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships to increase viewability, deflate fraud
- Expert: The most important social metrics for brands
Featured White Papers