News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Quarter of UK employees fear being laid off in next six months
More than a quarter of UK workers worry they will lose their job in the next six months, according to an Employment Confidence Survey from jobs and career community Glassdoor.
Fears surrounding job security in the UK have risen 8% since Glassdoor's Q1 2014 survey. Twenty-nine percent of UK workers now fear being laid off in the next six months. The Employment Confidence Survey monitors job security, business outlook, salary expectations and job market optimism.
The region that is most pessimistic about job security is London where half (49%) worry they will be laid off in the coming six months. More than half (57%) of workers in London fear that work colleagues will be made redundant.
Furthermore, just 29% of both part- and full-time employees are optimistic that they could find a job similar to their current employment and salary should they be made redundant.
According to Jon Ingham, a career and workplace expert with Glassdoor, the amount of restructuring going on in workplaces across the UK is what is causing concern.
"Regional job losses are still being widely reported and this is prompting employees to feel less secure," said Ingham. "Employers will benefit from communicating openly about the specific circumstances of their own businesses, involving employees where there are issues and problems, and communicating confidently where there are already positive changes underway or there are signs of new opportunities for the future."
With regards to salary, just 37% expect to receive a pay rise or cost-of-living increase within the next year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...