News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Quarter of UK employees fear being laid off in next six months
More than a quarter of UK workers worry they will lose their job in the next six months, according to an Employment Confidence Survey from jobs and career community Glassdoor.
Fears surrounding job security in the UK have risen 8% since Glassdoor's Q1 2014 survey. Twenty-nine percent of UK workers now fear being laid off in the next six months. The Employment Confidence Survey monitors job security, business outlook, salary expectations and job market optimism.
The region that is most pessimistic about job security is London where half (49%) worry they will be laid off in the coming six months. More than half (57%) of workers in London fear that work colleagues will be made redundant.
Furthermore, just 29% of both part- and full-time employees are optimistic that they could find a job similar to their current employment and salary should they be made redundant.
According to Jon Ingham, a career and workplace expert with Glassdoor, the amount of restructuring going on in workplaces across the UK is what is causing concern.
"Regional job losses are still being widely reported and this is prompting employees to feel less secure," said Ingham. "Employers will benefit from communicating openly about the specific circumstances of their own businesses, involving employees where there are issues and problems, and communicating confidently where there are already positive changes underway or there are signs of new opportunities for the future."
With regards to salary, just 37% expect to receive a pay rise or cost-of-living increase within the next year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...
- Motivations in the Marketing Mix
Direct targeting of consumers based on their motivations increased message relevance....
- 10 New Ways to Think About Affiliate Marketing Best Practices
Affiliate marketing is big business and it is poised to grow to $4.5 billion by 2016. While affiliate marketing is...
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...