News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Quarter of UK employees fear being laid off in next six months
More than a quarter of UK workers worry they will lose their job in the next six months, according to an Employment Confidence Survey from jobs and career community Glassdoor.
Fears surrounding job security in the UK have risen 8% since Glassdoor's Q1 2014 survey. Twenty-nine percent of UK workers now fear being laid off in the next six months. The Employment Confidence Survey monitors job security, business outlook, salary expectations and job market optimism.
The region that is most pessimistic about job security is London where half (49%) worry they will be laid off in the coming six months. More than half (57%) of workers in London fear that work colleagues will be made redundant.
Furthermore, just 29% of both part- and full-time employees are optimistic that they could find a job similar to their current employment and salary should they be made redundant.
According to Jon Ingham, a career and workplace expert with Glassdoor, the amount of restructuring going on in workplaces across the UK is what is causing concern.
"Regional job losses are still being widely reported and this is prompting employees to feel less secure," said Ingham. "Employers will benefit from communicating openly about the specific circumstances of their own businesses, involving employees where there are issues and problems, and communicating confidently where there are already positive changes underway or there are signs of new opportunities for the future."
With regards to salary, just 37% expect to receive a pay rise or cost-of-living increase within the next year.
Image via Shutterstock
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...