News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Nielsen reveals how much time mobile users spend engaging with apps
There are so many different apps to choose from, and many mobiles have screen upon screen of them, but how many apps, on average, does a typical user engage with on a monthly basis?
Data from Nielsen reveals that there is a limit to how many apps a mobile user can engage with in any one month. That number is 26.8, only a slight increase on the 23.3 apps per month reported at the end of 2011, despite a significant rise in the number of apps available to both Android and iPhone users.
While the number of apps being used hasn't changed very much, the amount of time spent using them has. Nielsen found that both Android and iPhone users spend 65% more time using apps today than they did two years ago. In the final quarter of 2013, 30 hours and 15 minutes was spent engaging with apps each month, a significant increase from the 18 hours and 18 minutes spent in the final quarter of 2011.
According to Nielsen, the data reveals that "while there may be an upper limit to the total number of apps users are willing to access within a given month, the amount of time they are spending on those apps is showing no signs of slowing down".
Social and search account for the majority of the time spent in apps, taking up just under 11 hours of monthly mobile use. The second most popular app category is entertainment, accounting for just over 10 and a half hours, followed by communication apps such as WhatsApp and Facetime that account for 3 hours and 48 minutes each month.
While 18-24 year-olds spend the most time using apps at 37 hours and 6 minutes each month, 25-34 year-olds use the most averaging 29.5 each month compared to 28 apps used by younger generations.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile video a compliment to TV
- Mobile sites leaving customers hungry
- Survey: Most create videos as keepsakes
- Ad RoundUp: Ecommerce deployments key in on data
- Online and mobile shopping experience still failing to meet consumer expectations
- Which products have the highest online browse-to-buy correlation?
- Millennials: Speed and high-quality images the difference between bounce or buy on mobile
- Smartphone shopping up but revenue remains low
Featured White Papers
- 7 ways the mobile consumer changes everything infographic
Download the infographic "7 Ways the Mobile Consumer Changes Everything" to learn how to optimize your web content for mobile,...
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...