News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennials emerge as leading spenders on green products and services
Millennials could be pointing the way to how consumer purchasing will shift in years to come as they emerge as the core supporters of green products and services in a survey commissioned by hygiene products manufacturer SCA.
In their online survey of over 2,000 U.S. adults, conducted by Harris Poll, SCA found that green products and services remain important for American consumers.
While previous surveys have shown "macro trends capturing an overall increase in green purchasing", this year's survey, conducted in April, shows continuing support for green products from Millennials. And those Millennials are prepared to pay more for green products.
Key findings from the survey include:
- 75% of U.S. adult consumers said they purchase green products and services, down slightly from 78% last year;
- 27% of Millennials who purchase green products and services have increased the number of those products they purchase, more so than those age 35-44 (18%) and 45+ (15%);
- 40% of adults are willing to pay more for products if ethical and responsible manufacturing practices are guaranteed but Millennials aged 18-34 are significantly more likely (56%) to pay more than older consumers aged 35+ (34%);
- The majority are motivated to purchase green products and services by environmental reasons (54%) while Millennials are more motivated by health benefits (24%).
"Brands and companies looking to develop strong relationships with Millennial consumers should focus on how to improve sustainability practices, as well as how to communicate those accomplishments," said Mike Kapalko, sustainability marketing manager for SCA's North American away-from-home professional hygiene business. "If the trends continue, transparent sustainability practices also will continue to be in demand, and early adopters could have a competitive advantage."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...