News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennials emerge as leading spenders on green products and services
Millennials could be pointing the way to how consumer purchasing will shift in years to come as they emerge as the core supporters of green products and services in a survey commissioned by hygiene products manufacturer SCA.
In their online survey of over 2,000 U.S. adults, conducted by Harris Poll, SCA found that green products and services remain important for American consumers.
While previous surveys have shown "macro trends capturing an overall increase in green purchasing", this year's survey, conducted in April, shows continuing support for green products from Millennials. And those Millennials are prepared to pay more for green products.
Key findings from the survey include:
- 75% of U.S. adult consumers said they purchase green products and services, down slightly from 78% last year;
- 27% of Millennials who purchase green products and services have increased the number of those products they purchase, more so than those age 35-44 (18%) and 45+ (15%);
- 40% of adults are willing to pay more for products if ethical and responsible manufacturing practices are guaranteed but Millennials aged 18-34 are significantly more likely (56%) to pay more than older consumers aged 35+ (34%);
- The majority are motivated to purchase green products and services by environmental reasons (54%) while Millennials are more motivated by health benefits (24%).
"Brands and companies looking to develop strong relationships with Millennial consumers should focus on how to improve sustainability practices, as well as how to communicate those accomplishments," said Mike Kapalko, sustainability marketing manager for SCA's North American away-from-home professional hygiene business. "If the trends continue, transparent sustainability practices also will continue to be in demand, and early adopters could have a competitive advantage."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...