News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennials emerge as leading spenders on green products and services
Millennials could be pointing the way to how consumer purchasing will shift in years to come as they emerge as the core supporters of green products and services in a survey commissioned by hygiene products manufacturer SCA.
In their online survey of over 2,000 U.S. adults, conducted by Harris Poll, SCA found that green products and services remain important for American consumers.
While previous surveys have shown "macro trends capturing an overall increase in green purchasing", this year's survey, conducted in April, shows continuing support for green products from Millennials. And those Millennials are prepared to pay more for green products.
Key findings from the survey include:
- 75% of U.S. adult consumers said they purchase green products and services, down slightly from 78% last year;
- 27% of Millennials who purchase green products and services have increased the number of those products they purchase, more so than those age 35-44 (18%) and 45+ (15%);
- 40% of adults are willing to pay more for products if ethical and responsible manufacturing practices are guaranteed but Millennials aged 18-34 are significantly more likely (56%) to pay more than older consumers aged 35+ (34%);
- The majority are motivated to purchase green products and services by environmental reasons (54%) while Millennials are more motivated by health benefits (24%).
"Brands and companies looking to develop strong relationships with Millennial consumers should focus on how to improve sustainability practices, as well as how to communicate those accomplishments," said Mike Kapalko, sustainability marketing manager for SCA's North American away-from-home professional hygiene business. "If the trends continue, transparent sustainability practices also will continue to be in demand, and early adopters could have a competitive advantage."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...