News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennials emerge as leading spenders on green products and services
Millennials could be pointing the way to how consumer purchasing will shift in years to come as they emerge as the core supporters of green products and services in a survey commissioned by hygiene products manufacturer SCA.
In their online survey of over 2,000 U.S. adults, conducted by Harris Poll, SCA found that green products and services remain important for American consumers.
While previous surveys have shown "macro trends capturing an overall increase in green purchasing", this year's survey, conducted in April, shows continuing support for green products from Millennials. And those Millennials are prepared to pay more for green products.
Key findings from the survey include:
- 75% of U.S. adult consumers said they purchase green products and services, down slightly from 78% last year;
- 27% of Millennials who purchase green products and services have increased the number of those products they purchase, more so than those age 35-44 (18%) and 45+ (15%);
- 40% of adults are willing to pay more for products if ethical and responsible manufacturing practices are guaranteed but Millennials aged 18-34 are significantly more likely (56%) to pay more than older consumers aged 35+ (34%);
- The majority are motivated to purchase green products and services by environmental reasons (54%) while Millennials are more motivated by health benefits (24%).
"Brands and companies looking to develop strong relationships with Millennial consumers should focus on how to improve sustainability practices, as well as how to communicate those accomplishments," said Mike Kapalko, sustainability marketing manager for SCA's North American away-from-home professional hygiene business. "If the trends continue, transparent sustainability practices also will continue to be in demand, and early adopters could have a competitive advantage."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...