News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Millennials emerge as leading spenders on green products and services
Millennials could be pointing the way to how consumer purchasing will shift in years to come as they emerge as the core supporters of green products and services in a survey commissioned by hygiene products manufacturer SCA.
In their online survey of over 2,000 U.S. adults, conducted by Harris Poll, SCA found that green products and services remain important for American consumers.
While previous surveys have shown "macro trends capturing an overall increase in green purchasing", this year's survey, conducted in April, shows continuing support for green products from Millennials. And those Millennials are prepared to pay more for green products.
Key findings from the survey include:
- 75% of U.S. adult consumers said they purchase green products and services, down slightly from 78% last year;
- 27% of Millennials who purchase green products and services have increased the number of those products they purchase, more so than those age 35-44 (18%) and 45+ (15%);
- 40% of adults are willing to pay more for products if ethical and responsible manufacturing practices are guaranteed but Millennials aged 18-34 are significantly more likely (56%) to pay more than older consumers aged 35+ (34%);
- The majority are motivated to purchase green products and services by environmental reasons (54%) while Millennials are more motivated by health benefits (24%).
"Brands and companies looking to develop strong relationships with Millennial consumers should focus on how to improve sustainability practices, as well as how to communicate those accomplishments," said Mike Kapalko, sustainability marketing manager for SCA's North American away-from-home professional hygiene business. "If the trends continue, transparent sustainability practices also will continue to be in demand, and early adopters could have a competitive advantage."
Image via Shutterstock
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
- Five-fold YoY growth in contactless payment use in UK
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...