News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ISBA fears Facebook faux pas may damage advertisers' trust
Unless you've been living under a rock you will have heard the uproar caused by Facebook's recent 'social experiment'. As well as damaging users' faith in the social network the Incorporated Society of British Advertisers (ISBA) fears that brand owners' trust may also been affected.
According to the ISBA, Facebook is going to have to work hard to regain and retain trust from its users and advertisers in the wake of a social experiment that aimed to gauge user behavior by altering news feeds.
Over 600,000 Facebook users were unknowingly involved in the psychological experiment, having their news feeds altered in respect of negative or positive posts from friends.
"Facebook has done the right thing by accepting responsibility quickly. But revelations about this 'social experiment' could be damaging to the way many of its users view the service," says David Ellison, ISBA's Marketing Services Manager. "Advertisers and brand owners will fear that this careless abuse of trust may tarnish them by association."
Facebook is currently facing investigation by the Information Commissioners Office in the UK. The data regulator will decide whether the social network breached data protection laws.
In the U.S., the Electronic Privacy Information Center has also filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission claiming Facebook was in breach of the law by conducting the experiment without user consent or knowledge.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...