News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ISBA fears Facebook faux pas may damage advertisers' trust
Unless you've been living under a rock you will have heard the uproar caused by Facebook's recent 'social experiment'. As well as damaging users' faith in the social network the Incorporated Society of British Advertisers (ISBA) fears that brand owners' trust may also been affected.
According to the ISBA, Facebook is going to have to work hard to regain and retain trust from its users and advertisers in the wake of a social experiment that aimed to gauge user behavior by altering news feeds.
Over 600,000 Facebook users were unknowingly involved in the psychological experiment, having their news feeds altered in respect of negative or positive posts from friends.
"Facebook has done the right thing by accepting responsibility quickly. But revelations about this 'social experiment' could be damaging to the way many of its users view the service," says David Ellison, ISBA's Marketing Services Manager. "Advertisers and brand owners will fear that this careless abuse of trust may tarnish them by association."
Facebook is currently facing investigation by the Information Commissioners Office in the UK. The data regulator will decide whether the social network breached data protection laws.
In the U.S., the Electronic Privacy Information Center has also filed a formal complaint with the Federal Trade Commission claiming Facebook was in breach of the law by conducting the experiment without user consent or knowledge.
Image via Shutterstock
- Happy birthday, email! Now, what can you do for me?
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...