News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
easyJet to trial iBeacon at select European airports
Just as iBeacons can help shoppers navigate a store and personalize the experience, that same functionality may soon become prevalent in airports following a scheme being put into place by airline easyJet.
iBeacons will soon be installed in UK airports London Gatwick and Luton and Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris, France. The aim is to help passengers navigate their way around the airport using triggered notifications to their mobile devices at critical points in their journey.
For the time being, and to gauge passenger engagement and reaction, easyJet are keeping iBeacon use simple, employing it at bag drop offs, security areas and notifying passengers when they need to have documentation, such as passports and boarding passes, ready.
"This is another example of how easyJet is innovating to make travel easier for passengers across Europe," said Peter Duffy, commercial director for easyJet. "By becoming the first airline to trial iBeacons across Europe we can help speed up the airport journey and provide assistance to our passengers making it even easier to fly with easyJet."
The scheme is being trialed during the peak summer travel period and, if successful, will be rolled out across the remainder of airports in Europe to which easyJet flies. To use the technology, passengers must have the easyJet app installed. Currently, 9.2 million of the airline's 60 million passengers have downloaded the app. Passengers must also have Bluetooth and location services enabled.
easyJet is not the first airline to experiment with iBeacon technology. Virgin Atlantic has been trialing it in the Upper Class Wing at London Heathrow Airport's Terminal 3, and American Airlines is involved in perhaps the industry's biggest deployment at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile app shoppers generate more revenue than mobile website and desktop shoppers
- Mums turn to Facebook for recommendations and parenting communities
- Forecast: App economy to surpass $100b by 2020
- Report: Retail, tech lead for mobile video
- Report: Pressure is on for security pros
- High viewability goals damaging ad campaign performance
- Retail: In-app purchases increasing as a percentage of digital sales
- Two countries, two different spending trends for Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...