News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
easyJet to trial iBeacon at select European airports
Just as iBeacons can help shoppers navigate a store and personalize the experience, that same functionality may soon become prevalent in airports following a scheme being put into place by airline easyJet.
iBeacons will soon be installed in UK airports London Gatwick and Luton and Charles de Gaulle airport in Paris, France. The aim is to help passengers navigate their way around the airport using triggered notifications to their mobile devices at critical points in their journey.
For the time being, and to gauge passenger engagement and reaction, easyJet are keeping iBeacon use simple, employing it at bag drop offs, security areas and notifying passengers when they need to have documentation, such as passports and boarding passes, ready.
"This is another example of how easyJet is innovating to make travel easier for passengers across Europe," said Peter Duffy, commercial director for easyJet. "By becoming the first airline to trial iBeacons across Europe we can help speed up the airport journey and provide assistance to our passengers making it even easier to fly with easyJet."
The scheme is being trialed during the peak summer travel period and, if successful, will be rolled out across the remainder of airports in Europe to which easyJet flies. To use the technology, passengers must have the easyJet app installed. Currently, 9.2 million of the airline's 60 million passengers have downloaded the app. Passengers must also have Bluetooth and location services enabled.
easyJet is not the first airline to experiment with iBeacon technology. Virgin Atlantic has been trialing it in the Upper Class Wing at London Heathrow Airport's Terminal 3, and American Airlines is involved in perhaps the industry's biggest deployment at Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport.
Image via Shutterstock
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...