News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Custora: More people making more purchases via mobile
New research from Custora shows that more people are using mobile devices to make purchases with mobile ecommerce on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
In Custora's E-Commerce Pulse report the mobile commerce trend is clear with the market worth more than $40 billion, double that of 2013, and on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
Back in 2010, the mobile ecommerce market was worth just $2.2 billion, rising quickly to reach $42.8 billion in 2013 - a growth rate of 1,875%. Similarly, in 2010, just 3% of online store visits came via mobile - that figure now stands at 37%.
Custora found that direct traffic is the primary driver of mobile ecommerce purchases (32.9%) while email marketing drove 26.7%. Organic search accounted for 16% of ecommerce orders but social accounted for less than 1%.
While paid search accounted for 13.4% of ecommerce purchases on smartphones, it was the highest driver of purchases on tablets (24.8%).
While mobile is a rising star, Custora's data, derived from over 70 million consumers, 100 Internet retailers and $10 billion in transaction revenue, shows that purchasing via a desktop remains the dominant channel - more than two-thirds (76%) of consumers solely use this channel.
Interestingly, Custora found that shoppers felt most comfortable making their first purchase with a retailer on desktop but, once trust was established were more willing to make future purchases on their mobile device.
Image via Shutterstock
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....