News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Custora: More people making more purchases via mobile
New research from Custora shows that more people are using mobile devices to make purchases with mobile ecommerce on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
In Custora's E-Commerce Pulse report the mobile commerce trend is clear with the market worth more than $40 billion, double that of 2013, and on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
Back in 2010, the mobile ecommerce market was worth just $2.2 billion, rising quickly to reach $42.8 billion in 2013 - a growth rate of 1,875%. Similarly, in 2010, just 3% of online store visits came via mobile - that figure now stands at 37%.
Custora found that direct traffic is the primary driver of mobile ecommerce purchases (32.9%) while email marketing drove 26.7%. Organic search accounted for 16% of ecommerce orders but social accounted for less than 1%.
While paid search accounted for 13.4% of ecommerce purchases on smartphones, it was the highest driver of purchases on tablets (24.8%).
While mobile is a rising star, Custora's data, derived from over 70 million consumers, 100 Internet retailers and $10 billion in transaction revenue, shows that purchasing via a desktop remains the dominant channel - more than two-thirds (76%) of consumers solely use this channel.
Interestingly, Custora found that shoppers felt most comfortable making their first purchase with a retailer on desktop but, once trust was established were more willing to make future purchases on their mobile device.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...