News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Custora: More people making more purchases via mobile
New research from Custora shows that more people are using mobile devices to make purchases with mobile ecommerce on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
In Custora's E-Commerce Pulse report the mobile commerce trend is clear with the market worth more than $40 billion, double that of 2013, and on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
Back in 2010, the mobile ecommerce market was worth just $2.2 billion, rising quickly to reach $42.8 billion in 2013 - a growth rate of 1,875%. Similarly, in 2010, just 3% of online store visits came via mobile - that figure now stands at 37%.
Custora found that direct traffic is the primary driver of mobile ecommerce purchases (32.9%) while email marketing drove 26.7%. Organic search accounted for 16% of ecommerce orders but social accounted for less than 1%.
While paid search accounted for 13.4% of ecommerce purchases on smartphones, it was the highest driver of purchases on tablets (24.8%).
While mobile is a rising star, Custora's data, derived from over 70 million consumers, 100 Internet retailers and $10 billion in transaction revenue, shows that purchasing via a desktop remains the dominant channel - more than two-thirds (76%) of consumers solely use this channel.
Interestingly, Custora found that shoppers felt most comfortable making their first purchase with a retailer on desktop but, once trust was established were more willing to make future purchases on their mobile device.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...