News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Custora: More people making more purchases via mobile
New research from Custora shows that more people are using mobile devices to make purchases with mobile ecommerce on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
In Custora's E-Commerce Pulse report the mobile commerce trend is clear with the market worth more than $40 billion, double that of 2013, and on track to reach $50 billion by the end of this year.
Back in 2010, the mobile ecommerce market was worth just $2.2 billion, rising quickly to reach $42.8 billion in 2013 - a growth rate of 1,875%. Similarly, in 2010, just 3% of online store visits came via mobile - that figure now stands at 37%.
Custora found that direct traffic is the primary driver of mobile ecommerce purchases (32.9%) while email marketing drove 26.7%. Organic search accounted for 16% of ecommerce orders but social accounted for less than 1%.
While paid search accounted for 13.4% of ecommerce purchases on smartphones, it was the highest driver of purchases on tablets (24.8%).
While mobile is a rising star, Custora's data, derived from over 70 million consumers, 100 Internet retailers and $10 billion in transaction revenue, shows that purchasing via a desktop remains the dominant channel - more than two-thirds (76%) of consumers solely use this channel.
Interestingly, Custora found that shoppers felt most comfortable making their first purchase with a retailer on desktop but, once trust was established were more willing to make future purchases on their mobile device.
Image via Shutterstock
- Big brands' ads found playing before ISIS YouTube videos
- Image-based social networks up their ad game
- Few help desk systems are cloud-based
- Survey: Phablets fastest growing mobile device
- Brands: How content should change your mobile strategy
- In-store sales down for Valentines finds report
- Top 3 tips for non-profits to succeed in digital
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...