News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Covario: Search spend up in Q1, Q2
For the first half of the year, search marketing is doing very well - with mobile search spending leading the way. According to Covario's new Global Paid Search Spend Analysis the Q2 search spend increased just over 21%; the Q1 spend increased 19%.
Mobile spending is leading the way for search marketers. That is the takeaway from Covario's Q2 search report which should mobile spending nearly doubled between Q2 0f 2013 and Q2 of 2014. In all, the mobile search spend increased 98% YoY with a 6% increase from Q1 to Q2 of this year; mobile platforms are now responsible for about one-quarter of all paid search spending.
The mobile breakdown is 62% to tablets and 38% to smartphones.
As for clickthroughs, it appears more people are clicking PPC ads. According to Covario CTRs for both desktop and mobile devices increased 39% (YoY) with CPCs rising 12% (YoY).
Some other interesting findings include:
• 31% increase in spending for the Americas region YoY
• The Americas increase is credited to increased desktop competition
• EMEA search increased 3% YoY
• APAC spending increased 1% YoY
Google is still pulling in the bulk of search spending (86%, globally) and is responsible for about 73% of impressions and 63% of global clicks.
How might brands capitalize on these search trends?
Alex Funk, director of global paid media strategy, Covario, recommends advertisers, "budget for 10 to 15 percent search spending increases across the Asia/Pacific region, with most of the investment directed toward China, South Korea, Japan, certain South APAC countries, Australia, and New Zealand." He also suggests a 10% to 15% increase for EMEA marketers while brands in the Americas should budget for 15% to 20% PPC increases.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports show upswing for connected TV, downswing for pay
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- How technology can improve the classroom
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
- Retail Internet of Things spend forecast to reach $2.5 billion by 2020
- Vloggers under-utilized by brand marketers targeting Millennials
- Report: Mobile web use doubles
- Ad Roundup: Tools to improve experience
Featured White Papers
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...