News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers quick to uninstall apps when push notifications are not relevant, interesting
Push notifications in apps are a great way to keep consumers up-to-date and engaged but, according to new research conducted by the Direct Marketing Association in the UK, they need to be relevant and interesting or risk alienating users.
Most mobile users in the UK have enabled push notifications in apps, found the DMA in its survey of 1,000 consumers. However, 31% have not citing objections to the idea of being pushed messages (30%) or not knowing what push notifications were (21%).
The three most popular push notifications consumers enable are for sales promotions (34%), new products (26%) and location-based offers (26%). Notifications from supermarket apps (22%) and music/radio apps (22%) were the most-welcomed followed by movies/TV (20%), online retailers (20%) and price comparison sites (19%).
While the majority who have enabled push notifications are happy to receive information and updates the DMA notes that "it is a fine balance" when it comes to keeping consumers engaged. Over three-quarters (78%) of those surveyed said that if they were not happy with the material being received by push notifications they would immediately uninstall the app, or disable push notifications.
"For those brands with apps, push notifications are now an important tool in the customer communications box, but it's still isolated from many companies' comms strategy and planning," said Douglas McDonald, member of the DMA Mobile and Connected Marketing Council. "It's time to make it part of the planned customer journeys alongside email and other methods."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...