News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers quick to uninstall apps when push notifications are not relevant, interesting
Push notifications in apps are a great way to keep consumers up-to-date and engaged but, according to new research conducted by the Direct Marketing Association in the UK, they need to be relevant and interesting or risk alienating users.
Most mobile users in the UK have enabled push notifications in apps, found the DMA in its survey of 1,000 consumers. However, 31% have not citing objections to the idea of being pushed messages (30%) or not knowing what push notifications were (21%).
The three most popular push notifications consumers enable are for sales promotions (34%), new products (26%) and location-based offers (26%). Notifications from supermarket apps (22%) and music/radio apps (22%) were the most-welcomed followed by movies/TV (20%), online retailers (20%) and price comparison sites (19%).
While the majority who have enabled push notifications are happy to receive information and updates the DMA notes that "it is a fine balance" when it comes to keeping consumers engaged. Over three-quarters (78%) of those surveyed said that if they were not happy with the material being received by push notifications they would immediately uninstall the app, or disable push notifications.
"For those brands with apps, push notifications are now an important tool in the customer communications box, but it's still isolated from many companies' comms strategy and planning," said Douglas McDonald, member of the DMA Mobile and Connected Marketing Council. "It's time to make it part of the planned customer journeys alongside email and other methods."
- Ecommerce Roundup: Payment solutions and an email idea
- How for-profits can capitalize with non-profit strategy
- Study IDs most important shopper for retailers
- Study: Consumers text for customer support
- Study IDs what Apple Watch users are really up to
- Top 3 tips for better triggered emails
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...