News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Consumers quick to uninstall apps when push notifications are not relevant, interesting
Push notifications in apps are a great way to keep consumers up-to-date and engaged but, according to new research conducted by the Direct Marketing Association in the UK, they need to be relevant and interesting or risk alienating users.
Most mobile users in the UK have enabled push notifications in apps, found the DMA in its survey of 1,000 consumers. However, 31% have not citing objections to the idea of being pushed messages (30%) or not knowing what push notifications were (21%).
The three most popular push notifications consumers enable are for sales promotions (34%), new products (26%) and location-based offers (26%). Notifications from supermarket apps (22%) and music/radio apps (22%) were the most-welcomed followed by movies/TV (20%), online retailers (20%) and price comparison sites (19%).
While the majority who have enabled push notifications are happy to receive information and updates the DMA notes that "it is a fine balance" when it comes to keeping consumers engaged. Over three-quarters (78%) of those surveyed said that if they were not happy with the material being received by push notifications they would immediately uninstall the app, or disable push notifications.
"For those brands with apps, push notifications are now an important tool in the customer communications box, but it's still isolated from many companies' comms strategy and planning," said Douglas McDonald, member of the DMA Mobile and Connected Marketing Council. "It's time to make it part of the planned customer journeys alongside email and other methods."
- Black Friday, Millennials, shopping, standing in line and... spiders
- Amazon strikes a pose with huge fashion photography studio in London
- How does $1-$3 per month sound for an ad-free Internet experience?
- Study: How mobiles are influencing moms
- Survey: SMBs drawing a line at Thanksgiving
- Is free enterprise search a game-changer?
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Prediction: Programmatic to push content marketing spend
Featured White Papers
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....