News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Budget supermarket tops UK BrandIndex rankings
The latest YouGov BrandIndex rankings reveal a move towards low-cost brands in the UK with budget supermarket Aldi, and the MoneySavingExpert.com, both featuring in the Top 10 for the first time.
In YouGov's mid-year rankings have German discounters Aldi and Lidl in first and fourth place respectively. The appearance of these brands, along with British consumer finance information and discussion website MoneySavingExpert.com, signal that consumers in the UK continue to hold to money-saving behaviors resulting from the recent downturn.
Aldi and Lidl both rank higher than supermarkets Waitrose (ranked 6th) and Sainsbury's (ranked 10th) and Aldi, in first place, ahead of department store John Lewis.
"Consumers want to do their weekly shops affordably while losing nothing in terms of quality, and they believe these German brands do this," says BrandIndex director Sarah Murphy. "The other supermarkets in the top 10 may need to react and adapt to the challenge in order to maintain their place in the hearts and minds of consumers."
The Top 10
2. John Lewis
3. BBC iPlayer
5. Dyson (equal 5th with Waitrose)
Image via Shutterstock
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...