News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits unable to recognize top women in tech
In memory of the thousands of women who worked at Bletchley Park during World War 2, McAfee conducted a survey among Brits to see which, if any, women in today's world of technology were well known.
McAfee's survey of 4,000 adults in the UK found that while male leaders in the technology sector are well known to many, women are not.
More than three-quarters of Brits recognized Mark Zuckerberg as the founder of Facebook, 90% had heard of Bill Gates of Microsoft and 70% knew of the late Steve Jobs of Apple.
However, just 8% had heard of Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg and 17% knew of Martha Lane Fox, founder of Lastminute.com. Overall, 73% said they had not heard of any high-ranking women in the field of technology.
McAfee's research was conducted to highlight those 7,500 or so women that made up almost 75% of the workforce at Bletchley Park where they decoded and deciphered German messages during World War 2.
According to Samantha Humphries-Swift, labs manager at McAfee, "women have always played an important role in the growth and development of the technology industry". Of the women at Bletchley Park Humphries-Swift says "these women were the original female role models of modern computing. It's this history, combined with the leaders in technology today that should serve to inspire current and future generations of both men and women into the world of IT".
The Duchess of Cambridge recently visited the newly restored Bletchley Park which is now an education and heritage site. Her grandmother, Valerie Glassborrow, had once worked there during wartime.
- Top 3 annoyances for mobile shoppers
- Study: Black Millennials betting on themselves
- Top 3 tips to take Valentine's strategies year-round
- No age limit to looking for love online
- Goodbye second-screening, hello switch-screening
- Less than one-third of emails opened on desktop last year
- Ad Roundup: Platforms for sales, ecommerce
- Top 3 tips to get more from email on Valentine's campaigns
Featured White Papers
- Device of Choice for Online Shoppers & Buyers
Did you know that men shop and buy from mobile devices more than women? Being aware of nuances like this...
- 5 'Must Have' Tactics For Your 2016 Digital Marketing Plan
What are the 5 "must have" tactics that experts agree can help everyone's 2016 digital marketing?...
- Consumers Tell All, Part 1: Online Shopping Frequency
This report looks at how frequently online shoppers are making purchases....