News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits unable to recognize top women in tech
In memory of the thousands of women who worked at Bletchley Park during World War 2, McAfee conducted a survey among Brits to see which, if any, women in today's world of technology were well known.
McAfee's survey of 4,000 adults in the UK found that while male leaders in the technology sector are well known to many, women are not.
More than three-quarters of Brits recognized Mark Zuckerberg as the founder of Facebook, 90% had heard of Bill Gates of Microsoft and 70% knew of the late Steve Jobs of Apple.
However, just 8% had heard of Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg and 17% knew of Martha Lane Fox, founder of Lastminute.com. Overall, 73% said they had not heard of any high-ranking women in the field of technology.
McAfee's research was conducted to highlight those 7,500 or so women that made up almost 75% of the workforce at Bletchley Park where they decoded and deciphered German messages during World War 2.
According to Samantha Humphries-Swift, labs manager at McAfee, "women have always played an important role in the growth and development of the technology industry". Of the women at Bletchley Park Humphries-Swift says "these women were the original female role models of modern computing. It's this history, combined with the leaders in technology today that should serve to inspire current and future generations of both men and women into the world of IT".
The Duchess of Cambridge recently visited the newly restored Bletchley Park which is now an education and heritage site. Her grandmother, Valerie Glassborrow, had once worked there during wartime.
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...