News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Brits unable to recognize top women in tech
In memory of the thousands of women who worked at Bletchley Park during World War 2, McAfee conducted a survey among Brits to see which, if any, women in today's world of technology were well known.
McAfee's survey of 4,000 adults in the UK found that while male leaders in the technology sector are well known to many, women are not.
More than three-quarters of Brits recognized Mark Zuckerberg as the founder of Facebook, 90% had heard of Bill Gates of Microsoft and 70% knew of the late Steve Jobs of Apple.
However, just 8% had heard of Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg and 17% knew of Martha Lane Fox, founder of Lastminute.com. Overall, 73% said they had not heard of any high-ranking women in the field of technology.
McAfee's research was conducted to highlight those 7,500 or so women that made up almost 75% of the workforce at Bletchley Park where they decoded and deciphered German messages during World War 2.
According to Samantha Humphries-Swift, labs manager at McAfee, "women have always played an important role in the growth and development of the technology industry". Of the women at Bletchley Park Humphries-Swift says "these women were the original female role models of modern computing. It's this history, combined with the leaders in technology today that should serve to inspire current and future generations of both men and women into the world of IT".
The Duchess of Cambridge recently visited the newly restored Bletchley Park which is now an education and heritage site. Her grandmother, Valerie Glassborrow, had once worked there during wartime.
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...