News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
Recently published research from Webtrends shows that consumers in the UK are happy to hand over personal data to brands but many want to be rewarded and there's a limit to just how much information they are happy to part with.
Overall, more than half (58%) of consumers in the UK do not mind providing brands with intimate data. Younger consumers, 18-24 year olds, are the most likely to share (68%) but this percentage drops as age increases. Consumers aged 55 and over are much more cautious - half object to sharing data with brands completely.
Furthermore, while 64% are happy to share basic information, such as name and email address, when brands ask for further information such as home address the number drops significantly, down to 17%.
"Younger generations have grown up in a far more connected, data-centric world and often recognize the benefits of sharing personal info with their favorite brands," says John Fleming, Webtrends Marketing Director EMEA & APAC. "And with only 19% of respondents saying they don't like receiving personalized content from brands, it paints a clear picture that attitudes are continually evolving."
However, even the most reluctant of British consumers can be persuaded to share personal data, found Webtrends. Rewards such as discounted products and free delivery can persuade as much as a third to part with particulars over and above basic data.
"Brands can take advantage of this by utilizing online analytics to find out more about customers' preferences based on their behavior, and then offer them more of what they want, when they want it," says Fleming.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile Roundup: New solutions, partnerships to help mobile brands
- Expert: Non-Profits can thrive in the online space
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
- UK brands fail to improve customer service response rates
- 53% of marketers crave more customer data
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...