News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
Recently published research from Webtrends shows that consumers in the UK are happy to hand over personal data to brands but many want to be rewarded and there's a limit to just how much information they are happy to part with.
Overall, more than half (58%) of consumers in the UK do not mind providing brands with intimate data. Younger consumers, 18-24 year olds, are the most likely to share (68%) but this percentage drops as age increases. Consumers aged 55 and over are much more cautious - half object to sharing data with brands completely.
Furthermore, while 64% are happy to share basic information, such as name and email address, when brands ask for further information such as home address the number drops significantly, down to 17%.
"Younger generations have grown up in a far more connected, data-centric world and often recognize the benefits of sharing personal info with their favorite brands," says John Fleming, Webtrends Marketing Director EMEA & APAC. "And with only 19% of respondents saying they don't like receiving personalized content from brands, it paints a clear picture that attitudes are continually evolving."
However, even the most reluctant of British consumers can be persuaded to share personal data, found Webtrends. Rewards such as discounted products and free delivery can persuade as much as a third to part with particulars over and above basic data.
"Brands can take advantage of this by utilizing online analytics to find out more about customers' preferences based on their behavior, and then offer them more of what they want, when they want it," says Fleming.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...