News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
Recently published research from Webtrends shows that consumers in the UK are happy to hand over personal data to brands but many want to be rewarded and there's a limit to just how much information they are happy to part with.
Overall, more than half (58%) of consumers in the UK do not mind providing brands with intimate data. Younger consumers, 18-24 year olds, are the most likely to share (68%) but this percentage drops as age increases. Consumers aged 55 and over are much more cautious - half object to sharing data with brands completely.
Furthermore, while 64% are happy to share basic information, such as name and email address, when brands ask for further information such as home address the number drops significantly, down to 17%.
"Younger generations have grown up in a far more connected, data-centric world and often recognize the benefits of sharing personal info with their favorite brands," says John Fleming, Webtrends Marketing Director EMEA & APAC. "And with only 19% of respondents saying they don't like receiving personalized content from brands, it paints a clear picture that attitudes are continually evolving."
However, even the most reluctant of British consumers can be persuaded to share personal data, found Webtrends. Rewards such as discounted products and free delivery can persuade as much as a third to part with particulars over and above basic data.
"Brands can take advantage of this by utilizing online analytics to find out more about customers' preferences based on their behavior, and then offer them more of what they want, when they want it," says Fleming.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports: Brands are winning back to school
- Time spent gaming on mobile drops, eSports partly to blame
- Expert: How to turn data-rich into data-action
- Expert: 3 questions to ask before outsourcing
- Top retail brands' email marketing campaigns found wanting
- Retailers must consider tech expectations of in-store consumers
- Ad Roundup: Releases for social data, site understanding
- Best practices for a solid omnichannel strategy
Featured White Papers
- 7 Trends Impacting How We Use Digital Assets
Download this new Adobe white paper to discover the seven trends impacting how digital marketers create, manage, deliver, and optimize...
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...
- 3 Tactics to Increase Influence on Your Consumer's Complex Path to Purchase
Consumers are No Longer Predictable, and their Path to Purchase is No Longer Linear......
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...