News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
Recently published research from Webtrends shows that consumers in the UK are happy to hand over personal data to brands but many want to be rewarded and there's a limit to just how much information they are happy to part with.
Overall, more than half (58%) of consumers in the UK do not mind providing brands with intimate data. Younger consumers, 18-24 year olds, are the most likely to share (68%) but this percentage drops as age increases. Consumers aged 55 and over are much more cautious - half object to sharing data with brands completely.
Furthermore, while 64% are happy to share basic information, such as name and email address, when brands ask for further information such as home address the number drops significantly, down to 17%.
"Younger generations have grown up in a far more connected, data-centric world and often recognize the benefits of sharing personal info with their favorite brands," says John Fleming, Webtrends Marketing Director EMEA & APAC. "And with only 19% of respondents saying they don't like receiving personalized content from brands, it paints a clear picture that attitudes are continually evolving."
However, even the most reluctant of British consumers can be persuaded to share personal data, found Webtrends. Rewards such as discounted products and free delivery can persuade as much as a third to part with particulars over and above basic data.
"Brands can take advantage of this by utilizing online analytics to find out more about customers' preferences based on their behavior, and then offer them more of what they want, when they want it," says Fleming.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...