News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
Recently published research from Webtrends shows that consumers in the UK are happy to hand over personal data to brands but many want to be rewarded and there's a limit to just how much information they are happy to part with.
Overall, more than half (58%) of consumers in the UK do not mind providing brands with intimate data. Younger consumers, 18-24 year olds, are the most likely to share (68%) but this percentage drops as age increases. Consumers aged 55 and over are much more cautious - half object to sharing data with brands completely.
Furthermore, while 64% are happy to share basic information, such as name and email address, when brands ask for further information such as home address the number drops significantly, down to 17%.
"Younger generations have grown up in a far more connected, data-centric world and often recognize the benefits of sharing personal info with their favorite brands," says John Fleming, Webtrends Marketing Director EMEA & APAC. "And with only 19% of respondents saying they don't like receiving personalized content from brands, it paints a clear picture that attitudes are continually evolving."
However, even the most reluctant of British consumers can be persuaded to share personal data, found Webtrends. Rewards such as discounted products and free delivery can persuade as much as a third to part with particulars over and above basic data.
"Brands can take advantage of this by utilizing online analytics to find out more about customers' preferences based on their behavior, and then offer them more of what they want, when they want it," says Fleming.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...