News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
ASA upholds complaint about 'misleading' free-to-play mobile game ad
When is a free-to-play mobile game not a free-to-play mobile game? Electronic Arts recently found out, courtesy of the UK independent regulator the Advertising Standards Authority.
Marketers need to be wary of how they market free-to-play games in future in the wake of a ruling in the UK declaring the description for Electronic Arts' game 'Dungeon Keeper' to be 'misleading'.
While the classic game is, technically, free to play, the Advertising Standards Authority took issue with charges made for in-app purchases which significantly enhanced and impacted gameplay. This, says the regulator, made any claim that the game was free-to-play unreasonable.
According to the Advertising Standards Authority, an advert for Dungeon Keeper, brought to their attention by games industry journalist Chris O'Regan, failed to include any reference to in-app purchases or, more specifically, the role they played in allowing players to progress in the game.
"Although we acknowledged that a disclaimer about the inclusion of in-app purchases was placed on the product page on the stores in which the app appeared, we noted that this was not within the body of, or linked to, the original ad, and that it did not make the nature of these purchases clear," announced the Advertising Standards Authority.
"Because the game had the potential to restrict gameplay beyond that which would be expected by consumers and the ad did not make this aspect of the role of in-app purchasing clear, we concluded that it was misleading."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Look for more gift cards this summer
- Top 3 tips to make your email 'Pitch Perfect'
- Survey: Retailers aren't ready for EMV deadline
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
Featured White Papers
- Retargeting on Facebook by the Numbers: The Analysis of Retargeting in the Center of the Social Web
Over the past two years, advertisers have rapidly adopted retargeting on Facebook to drive key metrics like conversions, app downloads,...
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...