News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android dominates smartphone market
Android has widened its lead over all its competitors and its share of the global market has reached a new record, according to new figures released by market research company Strategy Analytics.
During the second quarter of 2014 Strategy Analytics reported 295.2 million smartphone shipments. Global smartphone growth has halved during the past year, from 49% a year ago to 27% today.
Android now dominates global smartphone shipments, found Strategy Analytics, reaching a new record share of 85% in Q2 2014. This has come at the expense of all of its competitors. Apple shipped 35.2 million smartphones and saw its market share fall slightly to 11.9%. Samsung shipped 74.5 million smartphones worldwide to capture a 25% share of the market, down from its 33% market share a year earlier.
"Like the PC market, Android is on the verge of turning smartphone platforms into a one-horse race. Its low-cost services and user-friendly software remain wildly attractive to hardware makers, operators and consumers worldwide," says Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics. "Rival OS vendors are going to have to do something revolutionary to overturn Android's huge lead in smartphone shipments."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...