News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android dominates smartphone market
Android has widened its lead over all its competitors and its share of the global market has reached a new record, according to new figures released by market research company Strategy Analytics.
During the second quarter of 2014 Strategy Analytics reported 295.2 million smartphone shipments. Global smartphone growth has halved during the past year, from 49% a year ago to 27% today.
Android now dominates global smartphone shipments, found Strategy Analytics, reaching a new record share of 85% in Q2 2014. This has come at the expense of all of its competitors. Apple shipped 35.2 million smartphones and saw its market share fall slightly to 11.9%. Samsung shipped 74.5 million smartphones worldwide to capture a 25% share of the market, down from its 33% market share a year earlier.
"Like the PC market, Android is on the verge of turning smartphone platforms into a one-horse race. Its low-cost services and user-friendly software remain wildly attractive to hardware makers, operators and consumers worldwide," says Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics. "Rival OS vendors are going to have to do something revolutionary to overturn Android's huge lead in smartphone shipments."
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...