News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Android dominates smartphone market
Android has widened its lead over all its competitors and its share of the global market has reached a new record, according to new figures released by market research company Strategy Analytics.
During the second quarter of 2014 Strategy Analytics reported 295.2 million smartphone shipments. Global smartphone growth has halved during the past year, from 49% a year ago to 27% today.
Android now dominates global smartphone shipments, found Strategy Analytics, reaching a new record share of 85% in Q2 2014. This has come at the expense of all of its competitors. Apple shipped 35.2 million smartphones and saw its market share fall slightly to 11.9%. Samsung shipped 74.5 million smartphones worldwide to capture a 25% share of the market, down from its 33% market share a year earlier.
"Like the PC market, Android is on the verge of turning smartphone platforms into a one-horse race. Its low-cost services and user-friendly software remain wildly attractive to hardware makers, operators and consumers worldwide," says Neil Mawston, Executive Director at Strategy Analytics. "Rival OS vendors are going to have to do something revolutionary to overturn Android's huge lead in smartphone shipments."
Image via Shutterstock
- SMBs: What to look for in your next device
- 3 ways analytics may be clouding your strategy
- Why brands need to know document search
- Half of cybersecurity experts say mobile payments are not secure
- Amazon the go-to place for consumers to search for products
- Which holiday season promos will motivate consumers to buy?
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...