News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Alarming' mobile ad-click figures uncovered
Mobile ad-serving company, S4M, has released the findings of recent analysis of mobile ad campaigns that reveals half of all ad clicks are not reaching their intended destination.
In their analysis of more than 1 billion ad impressions from campaigns across the U.S., Europe and Asia during May 2014, S4M found that the number of ad clicks that arrived at their destination was as low as 50% for mobile-only ad inventory.
For tablet-only campaigns 35% of clicks did not reach their intended destination, a better figure than for smartphones, but still a much higher percentage than most advertisers would find acceptable.
According to Christophe Collet, founder and CEO at S4M, the analysis shows that "there is room for significant improvement in the deeper understanding of where the best campaign value lies".
S4M identified three main reasons for the poor performance. The difficulties involved in designing ads for a small screen size promotes 'fat finger syndrome' leading to user click error. Also, slow network speeds can cause abandonment. Finally, click fraud by automated bots can register a click but not the arrival.
"Spending budget on clicks that never arrive is budget wasted. Every point in the consumer journey needs to be analyzed to provide a clear picture of campaign performance to enable real optimization," says Collet. "Whilst the visit-through rate is one example of this, other metrics such as actual app installs, or repeat users for example, will help media buyers and planners pin optimization to metrics that illustrate the lifecycle of a user and the real ROI of a mobile ad campaign."
Image via Shutterstock
- PulsePoint: Content marketing, native future of advertising
- Ad Roundup: Bringing scale to online brands
- Pixalate releases list of top programmatic networks
- How non-profits are succeeding online
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...