News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Alarming' mobile ad-click figures uncovered
Mobile ad-serving company, S4M, has released the findings of recent analysis of mobile ad campaigns that reveals half of all ad clicks are not reaching their intended destination.
In their analysis of more than 1 billion ad impressions from campaigns across the U.S., Europe and Asia during May 2014, S4M found that the number of ad clicks that arrived at their destination was as low as 50% for mobile-only ad inventory.
For tablet-only campaigns 35% of clicks did not reach their intended destination, a better figure than for smartphones, but still a much higher percentage than most advertisers would find acceptable.
According to Christophe Collet, founder and CEO at S4M, the analysis shows that "there is room for significant improvement in the deeper understanding of where the best campaign value lies".
S4M identified three main reasons for the poor performance. The difficulties involved in designing ads for a small screen size promotes 'fat finger syndrome' leading to user click error. Also, slow network speeds can cause abandonment. Finally, click fraud by automated bots can register a click but not the arrival.
"Spending budget on clicks that never arrive is budget wasted. Every point in the consumer journey needs to be analyzed to provide a clear picture of campaign performance to enable real optimization," says Collet. "Whilst the visit-through rate is one example of this, other metrics such as actual app installs, or repeat users for example, will help media buyers and planners pin optimization to metrics that illustrate the lifecycle of a user and the real ROI of a mobile ad campaign."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...