News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Alarming' mobile ad-click figures uncovered
Mobile ad-serving company, S4M, has released the findings of recent analysis of mobile ad campaigns that reveals half of all ad clicks are not reaching their intended destination.
In their analysis of more than 1 billion ad impressions from campaigns across the U.S., Europe and Asia during May 2014, S4M found that the number of ad clicks that arrived at their destination was as low as 50% for mobile-only ad inventory.
For tablet-only campaigns 35% of clicks did not reach their intended destination, a better figure than for smartphones, but still a much higher percentage than most advertisers would find acceptable.
According to Christophe Collet, founder and CEO at S4M, the analysis shows that "there is room for significant improvement in the deeper understanding of where the best campaign value lies".
S4M identified three main reasons for the poor performance. The difficulties involved in designing ads for a small screen size promotes 'fat finger syndrome' leading to user click error. Also, slow network speeds can cause abandonment. Finally, click fraud by automated bots can register a click but not the arrival.
"Spending budget on clicks that never arrive is budget wasted. Every point in the consumer journey needs to be analyzed to provide a clear picture of campaign performance to enable real optimization," says Collet. "Whilst the visit-through rate is one example of this, other metrics such as actual app installs, or repeat users for example, will help media buyers and planners pin optimization to metrics that illustrate the lifecycle of a user and the real ROI of a mobile ad campaign."
Image via Shutterstock
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...
- Motivations in the Marketing Mix
Direct targeting of consumers based on their motivations increased message relevance....
- 10 New Ways to Think About Affiliate Marketing Best Practices
Affiliate marketing is big business and it is poised to grow to $4.5 billion by 2016. While affiliate marketing is...
- Create Conversations, not Campaigns
Nobody wants to get blasted. Commercial email marketing has evolved out of the traditional direct-mail mindset, which is all about...