News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
'Alarming' mobile ad-click figures uncovered
Mobile ad-serving company, S4M, has released the findings of recent analysis of mobile ad campaigns that reveals half of all ad clicks are not reaching their intended destination.
In their analysis of more than 1 billion ad impressions from campaigns across the U.S., Europe and Asia during May 2014, S4M found that the number of ad clicks that arrived at their destination was as low as 50% for mobile-only ad inventory.
For tablet-only campaigns 35% of clicks did not reach their intended destination, a better figure than for smartphones, but still a much higher percentage than most advertisers would find acceptable.
According to Christophe Collet, founder and CEO at S4M, the analysis shows that "there is room for significant improvement in the deeper understanding of where the best campaign value lies".
S4M identified three main reasons for the poor performance. The difficulties involved in designing ads for a small screen size promotes 'fat finger syndrome' leading to user click error. Also, slow network speeds can cause abandonment. Finally, click fraud by automated bots can register a click but not the arrival.
"Spending budget on clicks that never arrive is budget wasted. Every point in the consumer journey needs to be analyzed to provide a clear picture of campaign performance to enable real optimization," says Collet. "Whilst the visit-through rate is one example of this, other metrics such as actual app installs, or repeat users for example, will help media buyers and planners pin optimization to metrics that illustrate the lifecycle of a user and the real ROI of a mobile ad campaign."
Image via Shutterstock
- Survey: Online, offline shopping experiences 'merging'
- Message Systems flips email to up engagement
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...