News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2014 World Cup breaks records on social media
They think it's all over - it is now. And so the FIFA World Cup 2014 comes to an end. As well as having some momentous moments such as Brazil's devastating defeat by Germany and Suarez's jaw action, the sporting event was, according to figures obtained by Reuters, the biggest social media event on record.
On Facebook alone, 350 million users generated a massive 'conversation' consisting of 3 billion posts, Likes and comments. During the World Cup Final, 88 million global users made a record 280 million interactions easily topping the previous record held of 245 million interactions set by the 2013 Super Bowl.
During the football tournament the social network was, says Nick Grudin, Facebook's director of global media partnerships, a "global stadium".
"We knew the World Cup was going to be big, but this level of engagement is remarkable," Grudin added. "It was the highest level of conversation around a single event that we have ever measured."
Brazil player Neymar was the most talked about player, followed by Argentina's Lionel Messi, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Uruguay's Luis Suárez.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, a record number of Tweets was sent during the Germany/Brazil blitzkrieg - 35.6 million in total. That's more than the 32.1 million sent during the final between Germany and Argentina.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...