News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2014 World Cup breaks records on social media
They think it's all over - it is now. And so the FIFA World Cup 2014 comes to an end. As well as having some momentous moments such as Brazil's devastating defeat by Germany and Suarez's jaw action, the sporting event was, according to figures obtained by Reuters, the biggest social media event on record.
On Facebook alone, 350 million users generated a massive 'conversation' consisting of 3 billion posts, Likes and comments. During the World Cup Final, 88 million global users made a record 280 million interactions easily topping the previous record held of 245 million interactions set by the 2013 Super Bowl.
During the football tournament the social network was, says Nick Grudin, Facebook's director of global media partnerships, a "global stadium".
"We knew the World Cup was going to be big, but this level of engagement is remarkable," Grudin added. "It was the highest level of conversation around a single event that we have ever measured."
Brazil player Neymar was the most talked about player, followed by Argentina's Lionel Messi, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Uruguay's Luis Suárez.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, a record number of Tweets was sent during the Germany/Brazil blitzkrieg - 35.6 million in total. That's more than the 32.1 million sent during the final between Germany and Argentina.
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumers prefer human touch for insurance buying, claims
- Study: Digital strategy not properly defined
- Expert: User engagement trumps viewability
- Combining contextual marketing and demographics gives 3D-view of consumer
- Research warns marketers to consider social media followers' diverse network
- Ad Roundup: Tools for content, collaboration
- Leisure travel most popular discretionary spending category in UK
- Ad Roundup: Data, ecommerce tools
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...