News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2014 World Cup breaks records on social media
They think it's all over - it is now. And so the FIFA World Cup 2014 comes to an end. As well as having some momentous moments such as Brazil's devastating defeat by Germany and Suarez's jaw action, the sporting event was, according to figures obtained by Reuters, the biggest social media event on record.
On Facebook alone, 350 million users generated a massive 'conversation' consisting of 3 billion posts, Likes and comments. During the World Cup Final, 88 million global users made a record 280 million interactions easily topping the previous record held of 245 million interactions set by the 2013 Super Bowl.
During the football tournament the social network was, says Nick Grudin, Facebook's director of global media partnerships, a "global stadium".
"We knew the World Cup was going to be big, but this level of engagement is remarkable," Grudin added. "It was the highest level of conversation around a single event that we have ever measured."
Brazil player Neymar was the most talked about player, followed by Argentina's Lionel Messi, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Uruguay's Luis Suárez.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, a record number of Tweets was sent during the Germany/Brazil blitzkrieg - 35.6 million in total. That's more than the 32.1 million sent during the final between Germany and Argentina.
Image via Shutterstock
- Display ad revenues continue to rise despite ad blocking
- Mobile camera functionality key to capturing Millennials' loyalty
- Brands: Why you need prescriptive analytics
- Top 7 tips to increase B2B success
- How to make the most of TV ads
- Ecomm Roundup: 3 platform releases offer more control
- Top 3 tips to make the most of Instagram ads
- Study: Publishers concerned about Google, Facebook, competition
Featured White Papers
- The Retail Marketer's 2015 Holiday Playbook
Download this ebook to learn how to increase Average Order Value, drive last minute purchases, increase sales, extend in-store shopping...