News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
2014 World Cup breaks records on social media
They think it's all over - it is now. And so the FIFA World Cup 2014 comes to an end. As well as having some momentous moments such as Brazil's devastating defeat by Germany and Suarez's jaw action, the sporting event was, according to figures obtained by Reuters, the biggest social media event on record.
On Facebook alone, 350 million users generated a massive 'conversation' consisting of 3 billion posts, Likes and comments. During the World Cup Final, 88 million global users made a record 280 million interactions easily topping the previous record held of 245 million interactions set by the 2013 Super Bowl.
During the football tournament the social network was, says Nick Grudin, Facebook's director of global media partnerships, a "global stadium".
"We knew the World Cup was going to be big, but this level of engagement is remarkable," Grudin added. "It was the highest level of conversation around a single event that we have ever measured."
Brazil player Neymar was the most talked about player, followed by Argentina's Lionel Messi, Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo and Uruguay's Luis Suárez.
Meanwhile, on Twitter, a record number of Tweets was sent during the Germany/Brazil blitzkrieg - 35.6 million in total. That's more than the 32.1 million sent during the final between Germany and Argentina.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 tips to improve channel data strategy
- Ad Roundup: Video, multichannel launches
- Brands: Why connected content is key to growth
- 2016 festive shopping season will be longer, busier, and break records
- Amazon announces 5x uptick in Dash button use
- Study: Safety key to wearables future
- Study: Half of shoppers look for 'https' or other security symbols online
- Cash, and wallets, soon to be things of the past?
Featured White Papers
- How to Master the Art of LinkedIn InMail Prospecting
Learn how to improve your LinkedIn Inmail prospecting skills with this practical guide, complete with real-life examples....