News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
1 in 4 consumers use mobile as their exclusive shopping research tool
One in four UK consumers now use their mobile device as their exclusive shopping research tool, according to a new study released by global location ad platform xAd.
The smartphone is becoming an indispensable part of everyday life, including socializing, banking, booking a restaurant and, as xAd's 2nd Annual UK 'Mobile Path-to-Purchase Study' reveals, researching purchases.
The study was based on Nielsen-sourced responses from more than 2,000 UK smartphone and tablet users and reveals that 46% now use mobile devices as their primary tool for purchase decision making while 25% use mobile devices as their exclusive research tool.
This behavior, says Monica Ho, SVP of marketing at xAd, "creates a significant opportunity for brands to reach consumers, drive in-store foot traffic and ultimately influence their purchases".
The study also reveals that mobile is just one part of an overall shopping experience with 31% of consumers visiting a physical store during their research. Furthermore, mobile is being used to find store locations and information on retailers. Most mobile activity takes place at the start of the consumer's path-to-purchase (56%) at a time when less than 20% know exactly what they are looking for. That leaves 20% open to influence.
As with online shopping, price is a major influencer. Three out of four consumers use their mobile devices to compare prices and 39% make purchases because the price was right.
"Our study confirms that mobile is a powerful part of today's consumer purchase process and underlines the growing opportunity for advertisers to reach this ready to buy audience," said Bill Dinan, president of Telmetrics. "Advertisers that capture mobile metrics can improve their understanding of how shoppers interact with mobile devices throughout the buying cycle and empower their ad programmes to reach consumers when they are most open to influence."
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...