News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK retailers must optimize for mobile to capture Father's Day sales
Retailers in the UK that have not optimized their website for mobile could miss out on significant sales in the run up to Father's Day, according to new research from Mintel.
Sales of Father's Day gifts via mobile have risen 101% year-on-year, according to Mintel. Tablet sales now account for 16% of all Father's Day gifts.
"Increasingly people are shopping for dads on tablet devices. This is a cue for retailers to ensure that their site is mobile responsive and their apps are transactional where possible," says Mark Haviland, managing director of Rakuten Marketing Europe.
This year, Father's Day is predicted to boost retail sales by £200m (US$340m) despite it being one of the smaller events of the year. In the UK, just 2 in 10 people buy Father's Day gifts while a third send a card. Mintel observes that those in higher income households are more likely to celebrate Father's Day.
"We may be stretched financially, but the nation is still keen to spoil dad on Father's Day," says Mintel spokeswoman Jane Westgarth. "While Father's Day is relatively newer than Mother's Day, the nation is keen to embrace dad's special day."
Mother's Day continues to be a bigger occasion. Almost half (45%) of Brits send a card and a quarter (27%) also buy a gift.
UK lags behind US
Digital commerce firm Skava recently released findings of its annual UK Retail Mobile Optimization report. It reveals that, while things have improved since last year when just 50% of UK retailers had optimized for mobile, it still remains that 24% of the UK's top retailers have not. The UK continues to lag behind retailers in the U.S. where 100% of the country's top retailers are now optimized for mobile.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- Build Your Business Case For Social Selling
Are you ready to build your business case for social selling? Do you need some help? Download this PowerPoint deck...
- The High Cost of Free: Does Online Video Quality Influence Consumer Perception of your Brand?
6 Billion hours of video are watched each month on YouTube .... That's almost 1 hour for every person on...