News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK retailers must optimize for mobile to capture Father's Day sales
Retailers in the UK that have not optimized their website for mobile could miss out on significant sales in the run up to Father's Day, according to new research from Mintel.
Sales of Father's Day gifts via mobile have risen 101% year-on-year, according to Mintel. Tablet sales now account for 16% of all Father's Day gifts.
"Increasingly people are shopping for dads on tablet devices. This is a cue for retailers to ensure that their site is mobile responsive and their apps are transactional where possible," says Mark Haviland, managing director of Rakuten Marketing Europe.
This year, Father's Day is predicted to boost retail sales by £200m (US$340m) despite it being one of the smaller events of the year. In the UK, just 2 in 10 people buy Father's Day gifts while a third send a card. Mintel observes that those in higher income households are more likely to celebrate Father's Day.
"We may be stretched financially, but the nation is still keen to spoil dad on Father's Day," says Mintel spokeswoman Jane Westgarth. "While Father's Day is relatively newer than Mother's Day, the nation is keen to embrace dad's special day."
Mother's Day continues to be a bigger occasion. Almost half (45%) of Brits send a card and a quarter (27%) also buy a gift.
UK lags behind US
Digital commerce firm Skava recently released findings of its annual UK Retail Mobile Optimization report. It reveals that, while things have improved since last year when just 50% of UK retailers had optimized for mobile, it still remains that 24% of the UK's top retailers have not. The UK continues to lag behind retailers in the U.S. where 100% of the country's top retailers are now optimized for mobile.
Image via Shutterstock
- Brands: How to ensure rogue apps aren't damaging to you
- Top tips to drive purchases
- Brands: How to protect yourself in the app space
- 25% of smartphone owners have used mobile wallet technology at least once
- Forge relationships with consumers with gamification marketing techniques
- 50% of teens bored of Facebook as the social network loses its 'cool' factor
- Studies ID social trends for the holiday season
- Experts: Use the Hunger Games strategy to avoid spam folders
Featured White Papers
- 4 Simple Strategies to Find Time for Creative Work
As marketers, we know our best work is fueled by time to think, brainstorm and explore different directions. But in...
- 2014 Top Insights for Marketing Executives
Winning consumers over today requires building new capabilities that make brands more agile and provides deeper, more intimate knowledge of...
- 6 Common Marketing Problems and How to Beat Them
Feeling tired, frustrated, and overwhelmed with work chaos? Get the Winning at the Game of Marketing eBook and get control....
- Social & The DMP: Understanding Data-Driven Social Media Marketing
Learn how top marketers improved their Social Media Marketing....