News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK retailers must optimize for mobile to capture Father's Day sales
Retailers in the UK that have not optimized their website for mobile could miss out on significant sales in the run up to Father's Day, according to new research from Mintel.
Sales of Father's Day gifts via mobile have risen 101% year-on-year, according to Mintel. Tablet sales now account for 16% of all Father's Day gifts.
"Increasingly people are shopping for dads on tablet devices. This is a cue for retailers to ensure that their site is mobile responsive and their apps are transactional where possible," says Mark Haviland, managing director of Rakuten Marketing Europe.
This year, Father's Day is predicted to boost retail sales by £200m (US$340m) despite it being one of the smaller events of the year. In the UK, just 2 in 10 people buy Father's Day gifts while a third send a card. Mintel observes that those in higher income households are more likely to celebrate Father's Day.
"We may be stretched financially, but the nation is still keen to spoil dad on Father's Day," says Mintel spokeswoman Jane Westgarth. "While Father's Day is relatively newer than Mother's Day, the nation is keen to embrace dad's special day."
Mother's Day continues to be a bigger occasion. Almost half (45%) of Brits send a card and a quarter (27%) also buy a gift.
UK lags behind US
Digital commerce firm Skava recently released findings of its annual UK Retail Mobile Optimization report. It reveals that, while things have improved since last year when just 50% of UK retailers had optimized for mobile, it still remains that 24% of the UK's top retailers have not. The UK continues to lag behind retailers in the U.S. where 100% of the country's top retailers are now optimized for mobile.
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...