News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK retailers must optimize for mobile to capture Father's Day sales
Retailers in the UK that have not optimized their website for mobile could miss out on significant sales in the run up to Father's Day, according to new research from Mintel.
Sales of Father's Day gifts via mobile have risen 101% year-on-year, according to Mintel. Tablet sales now account for 16% of all Father's Day gifts.
"Increasingly people are shopping for dads on tablet devices. This is a cue for retailers to ensure that their site is mobile responsive and their apps are transactional where possible," says Mark Haviland, managing director of Rakuten Marketing Europe.
This year, Father's Day is predicted to boost retail sales by £200m (US$340m) despite it being one of the smaller events of the year. In the UK, just 2 in 10 people buy Father's Day gifts while a third send a card. Mintel observes that those in higher income households are more likely to celebrate Father's Day.
"We may be stretched financially, but the nation is still keen to spoil dad on Father's Day," says Mintel spokeswoman Jane Westgarth. "While Father's Day is relatively newer than Mother's Day, the nation is keen to embrace dad's special day."
Mother's Day continues to be a bigger occasion. Almost half (45%) of Brits send a card and a quarter (27%) also buy a gift.
UK lags behind US
Digital commerce firm Skava recently released findings of its annual UK Retail Mobile Optimization report. It reveals that, while things have improved since last year when just 50% of UK retailers had optimized for mobile, it still remains that 24% of the UK's top retailers have not. The UK continues to lag behind retailers in the U.S. where 100% of the country's top retailers are now optimized for mobile.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...