News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK retailers must optimize for mobile to capture Father's Day sales
Retailers in the UK that have not optimized their website for mobile could miss out on significant sales in the run up to Father's Day, according to new research from Mintel.
Sales of Father's Day gifts via mobile have risen 101% year-on-year, according to Mintel. Tablet sales now account for 16% of all Father's Day gifts.
"Increasingly people are shopping for dads on tablet devices. This is a cue for retailers to ensure that their site is mobile responsive and their apps are transactional where possible," says Mark Haviland, managing director of Rakuten Marketing Europe.
This year, Father's Day is predicted to boost retail sales by £200m (US$340m) despite it being one of the smaller events of the year. In the UK, just 2 in 10 people buy Father's Day gifts while a third send a card. Mintel observes that those in higher income households are more likely to celebrate Father's Day.
"We may be stretched financially, but the nation is still keen to spoil dad on Father's Day," says Mintel spokeswoman Jane Westgarth. "While Father's Day is relatively newer than Mother's Day, the nation is keen to embrace dad's special day."
Mother's Day continues to be a bigger occasion. Almost half (45%) of Brits send a card and a quarter (27%) also buy a gift.
UK lags behind US
Digital commerce firm Skava recently released findings of its annual UK Retail Mobile Optimization report. It reveals that, while things have improved since last year when just 50% of UK retailers had optimized for mobile, it still remains that 24% of the UK's top retailers have not. The UK continues to lag behind retailers in the U.S. where 100% of the country's top retailers are now optimized for mobile.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
- Report: SMB owners optimistic about 2014 holidays
- Brands: Why you need to connect social and cross-platform marketing objectives
- 35% of U.S. online shoppers won't browse or buy from Alibaba
- Top 3 tips to create a multi-channel strategy that works
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...