News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK lags behind in peer-to-peer rental phenomenon
Consumers in the UK are not as willing to participate in the 'sharing economy' as those in other countries, according to new data released by Nielsen, but the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon is definitely moving up a gear.
In its recent Global Survey of Share Communities, Nielsen found that British consumers are not embracing the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon quite as much as their counterparts in other countries. The global survey was taken among 30,000 online respondents globally.
While just over a third (37%) of online British consumers are taking part in the 'sharing economy' that figure is far less than in Europe as a whole (54%) or the 68% embracing it globally.
The peer-to-peer rental phenomenon has recently gained much attention through short-term property rental site Airbnb. However, other personal assets are being rented for cash such as cars (EasyCar Club), clothing (Girl Meets Dress), power tools and even private tuition.
According to Chris Morley, Nielsen group managing director for UK & Ireland, peer-to-peer rentals are part of the bigger 'pay-as-you' go mindset.
"Consumers are becoming savvier about saving money at a time when the internet has facilitated greater opportunities to rent products. The take-up of music- and film-streaming services such as Spotify and Netflix is testament to this," says Morley. "The sharing economy is the evolution of this 'pay-as-you-go' mind-set: why buy something I may only use a handful of times, when renting allows me to save money and storage space."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Most believe personalization key to success
- Report: Most Amazon sellers looking for new marketplaces
- Study: Finance, saving important to Millenials
- Survey: More consumers want to be paperless
- Survey IDS when customers will share personal data
- Bing: Voice searches for hotels up 343% YoY
- Top 5 tips to take business paperless
- Snap Ads spend rises 593% QoQ
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...