News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK lags behind in peer-to-peer rental phenomenon
Consumers in the UK are not as willing to participate in the 'sharing economy' as those in other countries, according to new data released by Nielsen, but the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon is definitely moving up a gear.
In its recent Global Survey of Share Communities, Nielsen found that British consumers are not embracing the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon quite as much as their counterparts in other countries. The global survey was taken among 30,000 online respondents globally.
While just over a third (37%) of online British consumers are taking part in the 'sharing economy' that figure is far less than in Europe as a whole (54%) or the 68% embracing it globally.
The peer-to-peer rental phenomenon has recently gained much attention through short-term property rental site Airbnb. However, other personal assets are being rented for cash such as cars (EasyCar Club), clothing (Girl Meets Dress), power tools and even private tuition.
According to Chris Morley, Nielsen group managing director for UK & Ireland, peer-to-peer rentals are part of the bigger 'pay-as-you' go mindset.
"Consumers are becoming savvier about saving money at a time when the internet has facilitated greater opportunities to rent products. The take-up of music- and film-streaming services such as Spotify and Netflix is testament to this," says Morley. "The sharing economy is the evolution of this 'pay-as-you-go' mind-set: why buy something I may only use a handful of times, when renting allows me to save money and storage space."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...