News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK lags behind in peer-to-peer rental phenomenon
Consumers in the UK are not as willing to participate in the 'sharing economy' as those in other countries, according to new data released by Nielsen, but the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon is definitely moving up a gear.
In its recent Global Survey of Share Communities, Nielsen found that British consumers are not embracing the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon quite as much as their counterparts in other countries. The global survey was taken among 30,000 online respondents globally.
While just over a third (37%) of online British consumers are taking part in the 'sharing economy' that figure is far less than in Europe as a whole (54%) or the 68% embracing it globally.
The peer-to-peer rental phenomenon has recently gained much attention through short-term property rental site Airbnb. However, other personal assets are being rented for cash such as cars (EasyCar Club), clothing (Girl Meets Dress), power tools and even private tuition.
According to Chris Morley, Nielsen group managing director for UK & Ireland, peer-to-peer rentals are part of the bigger 'pay-as-you' go mindset.
"Consumers are becoming savvier about saving money at a time when the internet has facilitated greater opportunities to rent products. The take-up of music- and film-streaming services such as Spotify and Netflix is testament to this," says Morley. "The sharing economy is the evolution of this 'pay-as-you-go' mind-set: why buy something I may only use a handful of times, when renting allows me to save money and storage space."
Image via Shutterstock
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
- Expert: Why SMBs are pushing farther into digital
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- How to get past personas and into consumers' interests
Featured White Papers
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...