News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK lags behind in peer-to-peer rental phenomenon
Consumers in the UK are not as willing to participate in the 'sharing economy' as those in other countries, according to new data released by Nielsen, but the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon is definitely moving up a gear.
In its recent Global Survey of Share Communities, Nielsen found that British consumers are not embracing the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon quite as much as their counterparts in other countries. The global survey was taken among 30,000 online respondents globally.
While just over a third (37%) of online British consumers are taking part in the 'sharing economy' that figure is far less than in Europe as a whole (54%) or the 68% embracing it globally.
The peer-to-peer rental phenomenon has recently gained much attention through short-term property rental site Airbnb. However, other personal assets are being rented for cash such as cars (EasyCar Club), clothing (Girl Meets Dress), power tools and even private tuition.
According to Chris Morley, Nielsen group managing director for UK & Ireland, peer-to-peer rentals are part of the bigger 'pay-as-you' go mindset.
"Consumers are becoming savvier about saving money at a time when the internet has facilitated greater opportunities to rent products. The take-up of music- and film-streaming services such as Spotify and Netflix is testament to this," says Morley. "The sharing economy is the evolution of this 'pay-as-you-go' mind-set: why buy something I may only use a handful of times, when renting allows me to save money and storage space."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
- Study dispels myth that 15-24 year olds are the true 'digital natives'
- Top 3 tips to better optimize branded content
- Programmatic spending skyrockets through Nexage Markeplace
Featured White Papers
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...