News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
UK lags behind in peer-to-peer rental phenomenon
Consumers in the UK are not as willing to participate in the 'sharing economy' as those in other countries, according to new data released by Nielsen, but the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon is definitely moving up a gear.
In its recent Global Survey of Share Communities, Nielsen found that British consumers are not embracing the peer-to-peer rental phenomenon quite as much as their counterparts in other countries. The global survey was taken among 30,000 online respondents globally.
While just over a third (37%) of online British consumers are taking part in the 'sharing economy' that figure is far less than in Europe as a whole (54%) or the 68% embracing it globally.
The peer-to-peer rental phenomenon has recently gained much attention through short-term property rental site Airbnb. However, other personal assets are being rented for cash such as cars (EasyCar Club), clothing (Girl Meets Dress), power tools and even private tuition.
According to Chris Morley, Nielsen group managing director for UK & Ireland, peer-to-peer rentals are part of the bigger 'pay-as-you' go mindset.
"Consumers are becoming savvier about saving money at a time when the internet has facilitated greater opportunities to rent products. The take-up of music- and film-streaming services such as Spotify and Netflix is testament to this," says Morley. "The sharing economy is the evolution of this 'pay-as-you-go' mind-set: why buy something I may only use a handful of times, when renting allows me to save money and storage space."
Image via Shutterstock
- Consumer engagement with mobile ads on the rise
- Android dominates smartphone market
- How to tell if social is right for your brand
- Ecomm Roundup: Faster checkouts and better personalization
- Top 3 tips to use data better this holiday season
- Microbusinesses dipping into personal savings
- British consumers will give up more personal data for discounts, free delivery
- How dark social can impact brand
Featured White Papers
- What Sales Should REALLY Expect from Marketing Automation
In this Deep Dive we will explore what sales leaders should actually be demanding from marketing automation tools. In fact,...
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...