News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Top 3 tips to cut out data detours
Turns out data may be doing more to harm retailers' bottom lines that many thought. While data simplifies personalized campaign creation and website experiences, new data out from Baynote indicates data can also detour shoppers out of the purchase funnel.
Shoppers are landing on retailers' sites every minute of every day - some from social networks and some because of organic search results. But what makes them stay and what makes them purchase? And what may drive them away? According to a new Baynote report:
• 92% of shoppers trust 'earned media' - personal recommendations, etc
• 63% use smartphones to browse or research potential buys
• 30% of online retailers have conversion rates over 4%
• Ecommerce is expected to bring in $294 billion by year's end
While those are all positive findings, the data also shows most (84%) of shoppers are influenced by negative reviews - to leave a store or buy another product - and about one-quarter say they've abandoned shopping carts because check-out systems were too long.
How can retailers simplify things so customers aren't detoured out of a purchase?
First, Baynote's experts suggest making checking simple. They note a Statista study in which 21% of shoppers said they abandoned checkouts because the process was too long or because they were forced to log in.
Second, close the cart. "Abandoned cart emails are rising in popularity. Use the data you have about your shopper and personally remind them of what they left in their cart. Encourage them to act on that cart with promotions and other time-sensitive offers," write the experts.
Finally, capture the feedback - especially reviews from actual shoppers/buyers. Research shows personal reviews top the list of things that influence purchases so use those reviews to your advantage.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...