News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Travelers looking early for bookings
A new study indicates travelers - for both business and pleasure - are taking advantage of online offerings to make destination decisions. From how they'll get there - plan, rental car, train - to where they'll stay once they arrive, travelers say both deal sites and branded airline or hotel sites are destinations they hit before traveling.
The study, No Reservations: How Travelers Plan & Book Online, was conducted by ResearchNow on behalf of Sociomantic Labs.
Some interesting takeaways include:
• 57% of travelers book flights 2+ weeks in advance, 27% book 3+ weeks in advance
• 95% of business and leisure travelers say their main stop to purchase tickets is an airline site
• Business travelers also look at 'deal' sites for flights (71%) and hotel stays (63%)
• About three-quarters of leisure travelers look to deal sites, as well
"Travelers, like all online shoppers, have more options than ever when it comes to making plans. And unsurprisingly, airline and hotel websites are today the go-to destination for research," said JB Brokaw, North American president, Sociomantic. "This is a huge opportunity for travel retailers. Travelers are not being pressured to purchase. They have the time to book and the freedom to make their plans, so show them the offers personalized to them and their needs and capture these travelers before they wander too far."
Interestingly enough, business travelers are reporting as much freedom in their bookings as those traveling for pleasure. According to most business travelers, while they must arrive at a certain time for meetings or conferences, most are given leeway in how they arrive and where they stay once they've arrived.
Image via Shutterstock
- Nielsen: Generations bucking preconceived notions of behavior
- Study reveals shopping habits not influenced by Black Friday flash sales
- Study: Shoppers plan to spend more, save more this holiday
- How to respond to bad reviews
- Top tips for a better 2016 IT strategy
- Click-and-collect drives additional in-store sales
- Oxford Dictionaries announces 'word of the year' and it is not a word
- Last-minute shopping on the rise during holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Statistics for Online Experiments: How to Think and Act Like a Statistician
Statistics are the underpinning of how Optimizely's customers use data to make decisions. To run great experiments, investing in an...
- Lean Content Marketing
Content is king. If you're a modern marketer, you know why--it is the fuel for your lead generation and nurturing...