News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Travelers looking early for bookings
A new study indicates travelers - for both business and pleasure - are taking advantage of online offerings to make destination decisions. From how they'll get there - plan, rental car, train - to where they'll stay once they arrive, travelers say both deal sites and branded airline or hotel sites are destinations they hit before traveling.
The study, No Reservations: How Travelers Plan & Book Online, was conducted by ResearchNow on behalf of Sociomantic Labs.
Some interesting takeaways include:
• 57% of travelers book flights 2+ weeks in advance, 27% book 3+ weeks in advance
• 95% of business and leisure travelers say their main stop to purchase tickets is an airline site
• Business travelers also look at 'deal' sites for flights (71%) and hotel stays (63%)
• About three-quarters of leisure travelers look to deal sites, as well
"Travelers, like all online shoppers, have more options than ever when it comes to making plans. And unsurprisingly, airline and hotel websites are today the go-to destination for research," said JB Brokaw, North American president, Sociomantic. "This is a huge opportunity for travel retailers. Travelers are not being pressured to purchase. They have the time to book and the freedom to make their plans, so show them the offers personalized to them and their needs and capture these travelers before they wander too far."
Interestingly enough, business travelers are reporting as much freedom in their bookings as those traveling for pleasure. According to most business travelers, while they must arrive at a certain time for meetings or conferences, most are given leeway in how they arrive and where they stay once they've arrived.
Image via Shutterstock
- In-store pricing versus online: Getting the price right at the right time
- Investment in the online shopping experience paying dividends for retailers
- Survey: Mobile a sore spot for luxury brands
- Study: Switching economy could cost US brands $1 trillion
- Does your business send packages? USPS postal rates change
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...