News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study reveals completion rates for online video
Research by video monetization firm Coull reveals that videos featuring cars and animals beat music in terms of completion rates.
In their analysis of 12.4 million video plays across 60 countries, Coull found that videos featuring cars and animals enjoy a far higher completion rate than music. While 61% of viewers watched videos featuring cars watched to the end and 49% watched videos featuring animals to completion, music-related videos only kept one in three watching.
Other video themes that also kept viewers engaged were people and blogs (52%) and travel and events (51%) while sport and politics were not as effective with just a 43% completion rate.
Viewers in the U.S. and South Africa were found to be the most engaged with almost half of all online videos watched through to the end. In Britain, 41% of videos were viewed to completion, far more than in Russia (18%) and Japan (20%).
According to Irfon Watkins, CEO at Coull, completion rates are an important measurement tool.
"Strong completion rates show engagement," says Irfon. "If publishers can identify their most valuable inventory and make it available via new ad formats with contextual content-level targeting, they'll be able to provide a highly effective advertising model for brands while increasing their own revenue simply through more effective monetization of existing inventory."
Image via Shutterstock
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...