News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Mobile driving purchase decisions, but not buys
It seems mobile doing both more - and less - than some retailers might think. According to a new report mobile is, indeed, pushing purchase decisions. But the actual buying of those products is happening in-store. Not so bad a trade-off for those retailers who are prepared for a solid in-store and mobile experience.
"As mobile adoption increases, we see consumers turning to mobile as a necessary part of their purchase decisions," said Monica Ho, SVP of marketing, xAd. "The impact of this increased mobile usage is significant and it isn't limited to on-device activity. With mobile consumers looking to make decisions quickly and locally, mobile is also serving as a tool to drive in-store activity."
Some interesting takeaways from the 3rd Annual US Mobile Path to Purchase Study include:
• More than one-third of mobile shoppers say they use mobile 'exclusively' or that mobile is their 'most important' product research device
• 52% of mobile shoppers say visit physical stores while 64% say they finish purchases in-store rather than on mobile
• About half of shoppers using smartphones access sites at home
• 53% of mobile shoppers call local businesses because of mobile search results
"The truly pervasive nature of mobile is reinforcing the opportunity for advertisers to pursue mobile's ready to buy audience and clearer performance metrics," said Bill Dinan, president of Telmetrics. "Capturing consumer engagement points throughout the mobile path to purchase is essential to optimizing mobile ad programs to reach consumers when they are most open to options for fulfilling their purchase needs."
The study also indicates that the bulk of mobile shopping/researching happens at the beginning of the purchase funnel; about 65% of shoppers say they then complete the purchase within a day.
Image via Shutterstock
- What Twitter's roll-out of Periscope ads means for digital brands
- Ad Roundup: Tools to connect shoppers
- Top 3 tips for B2B brands to harness purchasing power
- Channel 4 video-on-demand ads address viewer by name
- IAB: 2016 Internet ad spend breaks records
- Marketers say their role is to collect, not analyze, customer data
- Two-thirds of US, UK consumers worried about how brands use personal data
- Study: Marketers overwhelmed with data
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...