News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Mobile driving purchase decisions, but not buys
It seems mobile doing both more - and less - than some retailers might think. According to a new report mobile is, indeed, pushing purchase decisions. But the actual buying of those products is happening in-store. Not so bad a trade-off for those retailers who are prepared for a solid in-store and mobile experience.
"As mobile adoption increases, we see consumers turning to mobile as a necessary part of their purchase decisions," said Monica Ho, SVP of marketing, xAd. "The impact of this increased mobile usage is significant and it isn't limited to on-device activity. With mobile consumers looking to make decisions quickly and locally, mobile is also serving as a tool to drive in-store activity."
Some interesting takeaways from the 3rd Annual US Mobile Path to Purchase Study include:
• More than one-third of mobile shoppers say they use mobile 'exclusively' or that mobile is their 'most important' product research device
• 52% of mobile shoppers say visit physical stores while 64% say they finish purchases in-store rather than on mobile
• About half of shoppers using smartphones access sites at home
• 53% of mobile shoppers call local businesses because of mobile search results
"The truly pervasive nature of mobile is reinforcing the opportunity for advertisers to pursue mobile's ready to buy audience and clearer performance metrics," said Bill Dinan, president of Telmetrics. "Capturing consumer engagement points throughout the mobile path to purchase is essential to optimizing mobile ad programs to reach consumers when they are most open to options for fulfilling their purchase needs."
The study also indicates that the bulk of mobile shopping/researching happens at the beginning of the purchase funnel; about 65% of shoppers say they then complete the purchase within a day.
Image via Shutterstock
- Studies ID how Millennials are connecting
- Black Friday UK predicted to break £1bn in online sales
- Smaato: Spending on mobile web ads soars
- Study: What consumers really want from loyalty programs
- Top 4 Tips to Manage Relationship Between Developers, Marketers
- Android steadily catching up Apple on opens and clicks in E.U.
- Survey suggests increasing interest in e-gifts
- Referral key way in which marketers find SEO services
Featured White Papers
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...