News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Different socnets mean different updates from consumers
More people log on to social networks each day. But they aren't only logging on to their favorite hangouts or the place their friends hangout. According to on new report the average consumer is using up to six different social networks - and each socnet has a different meaning for them.
"This research highlights our need as marketers to evolve our approach to understanding consumer interests," said Kara Manatt, VP, Consumer Research Strategy at IPG Media Lab. "If we truly want to understand consumers as individuals, we can't simply rely on a single social network to paint the full picture. Each social network may only offer a piece to that puzzle."
According to the IPS Media Lab/140 Proof report:
• 56% of people use at least 4 social networks, 23% use 7 or more
• 60% report they are chatting with different friends, brands and media in each place
• 61% of multi-platform socnetters have un-liked, un-followed brands because of relevance
"More than ever before, the results of this study point to the need for marketers to embrace social data as the best way to understand the individual at the other end of the ad server," said Jon Elvekrog, CEO and Co-founder at 140 Proof. "As an increasing number of consumers create profiles on multiple networks and use social IDs to sign into mobile apps, the social ID will replace the cookie and lead to fine-grained targeting and ad management, which has historically been difficult in mobile. By examining an individual's interests holistically across networks, marketers will be able to connect with the right audience at the right time."
The study also indicates that most people consider social and mobile to go hand in hand; about two-thirds say they use social accounts to sign in to music, news or gaming apps. Most (91%) say they 'find it valuable' to connect social networks to other app accounts.
Image via Shutterstock
- Trends to watch for back-to-school
- Expert shares integration tips for cloud
- How machine learning can impact subscription service offerings
- Expert: How to know if the cloud is right for your business
- Ad Roundup: Targeting, Payments and Data
- Studies highlight importance of location, relevance
- SMBs: New labor laws could impact revenue lines
- Ad Roundup: Mobile, video and ecommerce
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Principles of Engagement Marketing
In this ebook, we define each of those five principles, and show you what an engagement marketing strategy truly looks...