News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Different socnets mean different updates from consumers
More people log on to social networks each day. But they aren't only logging on to their favorite hangouts or the place their friends hangout. According to on new report the average consumer is using up to six different social networks - and each socnet has a different meaning for them.
"This research highlights our need as marketers to evolve our approach to understanding consumer interests," said Kara Manatt, VP, Consumer Research Strategy at IPG Media Lab. "If we truly want to understand consumers as individuals, we can't simply rely on a single social network to paint the full picture. Each social network may only offer a piece to that puzzle."
According to the IPS Media Lab/140 Proof report:
• 56% of people use at least 4 social networks, 23% use 7 or more
• 60% report they are chatting with different friends, brands and media in each place
• 61% of multi-platform socnetters have un-liked, un-followed brands because of relevance
"More than ever before, the results of this study point to the need for marketers to embrace social data as the best way to understand the individual at the other end of the ad server," said Jon Elvekrog, CEO and Co-founder at 140 Proof. "As an increasing number of consumers create profiles on multiple networks and use social IDs to sign into mobile apps, the social ID will replace the cookie and lead to fine-grained targeting and ad management, which has historically been difficult in mobile. By examining an individual's interests holistically across networks, marketers will be able to connect with the right audience at the right time."
The study also indicates that most people consider social and mobile to go hand in hand; about two-thirds say they use social accounts to sign in to music, news or gaming apps. Most (91%) say they 'find it valuable' to connect social networks to other app accounts.
Image via Shutterstock
- Poll: Phone fraud tops $8 billion mark in America
- Webtrends: Top 3 tips to improve online bookings
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...