News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Study: Different socnets mean different updates from consumers
More people log on to social networks each day. But they aren't only logging on to their favorite hangouts or the place their friends hangout. According to on new report the average consumer is using up to six different social networks - and each socnet has a different meaning for them.
"This research highlights our need as marketers to evolve our approach to understanding consumer interests," said Kara Manatt, VP, Consumer Research Strategy at IPG Media Lab. "If we truly want to understand consumers as individuals, we can't simply rely on a single social network to paint the full picture. Each social network may only offer a piece to that puzzle."
According to the IPS Media Lab/140 Proof report:
• 56% of people use at least 4 social networks, 23% use 7 or more
• 60% report they are chatting with different friends, brands and media in each place
• 61% of multi-platform socnetters have un-liked, un-followed brands because of relevance
"More than ever before, the results of this study point to the need for marketers to embrace social data as the best way to understand the individual at the other end of the ad server," said Jon Elvekrog, CEO and Co-founder at 140 Proof. "As an increasing number of consumers create profiles on multiple networks and use social IDs to sign into mobile apps, the social ID will replace the cookie and lead to fine-grained targeting and ad management, which has historically been difficult in mobile. By examining an individual's interests holistically across networks, marketers will be able to connect with the right audience at the right time."
The study also indicates that most people consider social and mobile to go hand in hand; about two-thirds say they use social accounts to sign in to music, news or gaming apps. Most (91%) say they 'find it valuable' to connect social networks to other app accounts.
Image via Shutterstock
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
- Top 4 investments to make in 2015
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...