News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SDL: Why language is important for millennials
We already know millennials look at advertising and content differently than Gen Xers or Baby Boomers, but the reasoning behind that - and another reason to market to millennials differently - is language. According to SDL 1 in 4 US millennials spending a language other than English at home while nearly half (46%) are 'more likely to purchase' from brands using their preferred language.
"All too often, language is an afterthought in an organizations' customer experience strategy," said Paige O'Neill, CMO at SDL. "Marketers now need to address the demands of globalization and ensure that their business speaks only one language - the language of its customers. Localization strategies must be adopted to address translation at a local level, but also the personal demographics of its target audience. In doing so, consumers will be compelled to share content and foster brand advocacy in their language of choice, giving marketers a competitive advantage and the ability to deliver the customer experience that truly defines their brand's voice, globally."
How can brands do a better job of meeting these diverse language needs? SDL offers these tips:
First, develop a language and cultural strategy for content creation. Using run-of-the-mill translators won't fill the need, so invest time - and money - into it.
Second, develop a localized strategy so that you're using the most relevant language, channel and device for the millennials in different states, regions and countries.
Third, look for ways to expand your relationship - once these language barriers are breached.
"Expand the relationship well beyond the basics," writes SDL. "Creating transparency and accessibility to a wide range of self-service assets encourages customers to come back for more, keeping your brand top-of-mind."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...