News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
SDL: Why language is important for millennials
We already know millennials look at advertising and content differently than Gen Xers or Baby Boomers, but the reasoning behind that - and another reason to market to millennials differently - is language. According to SDL 1 in 4 US millennials spending a language other than English at home while nearly half (46%) are 'more likely to purchase' from brands using their preferred language.
"All too often, language is an afterthought in an organizations' customer experience strategy," said Paige O'Neill, CMO at SDL. "Marketers now need to address the demands of globalization and ensure that their business speaks only one language - the language of its customers. Localization strategies must be adopted to address translation at a local level, but also the personal demographics of its target audience. In doing so, consumers will be compelled to share content and foster brand advocacy in their language of choice, giving marketers a competitive advantage and the ability to deliver the customer experience that truly defines their brand's voice, globally."
How can brands do a better job of meeting these diverse language needs? SDL offers these tips:
First, develop a language and cultural strategy for content creation. Using run-of-the-mill translators won't fill the need, so invest time - and money - into it.
Second, develop a localized strategy so that you're using the most relevant language, channel and device for the millennials in different states, regions and countries.
Third, look for ways to expand your relationship - once these language barriers are breached.
"Expand the relationship well beyond the basics," writes SDL. "Creating transparency and accessibility to a wide range of self-service assets encourages customers to come back for more, keeping your brand top-of-mind."
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...