News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Savvy nonprofits demonstrate top-class social media best practices
Recent research from the Center for Marketing Research at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth reveals that nearly all of the U.S.'s biggest charities are using social media to drive awareness.
The research, which used charities on the 2013 Philanthropy 400 list, found that use of social media among nonprofits is higher than among businesses in the Fortune 500.
Nearly all (98%) of charities on the list are using social media and 97% are using video.
The most-used social platforms and tools are YouTube and other video sites (97%) followed by Facebook (92%), Twitter (86%) and Pinterest (72%). Eighty-one percent of the charities said their main objective for using social media was to increase awareness, more so than generating donations (40%).
According to a summary of the study findings, "Even though generating donations is not the primary intent of their social media use, it is essential for their organizations to raise money. When asked how useful these new communications tools are specifically for raising money, 7 out of 10 felt they were useful while an additional 18% felt they were of limited use. Eleven percent did not feel that social media was useful for raising money for their organization."
Other findings from the research include:
- 72% of the organizations examined have a written social media policy for employees;
- 89% write their own original content for their platforms;
- 45% use social media tools to recruit and evaluate potential employees/volunteers;
- 83% monitor the Internet for buzz, posts, conversations, and news about their organization.
"These savvy nonprofits are an inspiration to those looking for social media best practices," concludes the report. "For constituents, seeing the cause played out in visual form is powerful, moving and effective."
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...