News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals 532% increase in mobile video viewing in two years
Almost a quarter of video viewing now takes place on a mobile device, according to a new report from online video technology firm Ooyala.
In the first quarter of 2014 21% of all online video plays were on a mobile or tablet, up from 9% in the first quarter of 2013 and 3.4% in the first quarter of 2012.
That's a 532% increase since 2012, states Ooyala following the release of its Q1 2014 Global Video Index. Mobile plays in Europe and Latin America, as a percentage of all online video viewing, are outstripping those in North America.
"The statistics in our Global Video Index continue to affirm our belief that mobile is in large part the future of video and TV consumption," said Jay Fulcher, chief executive officer at Ooyala. "We see the acceleration of mobile video consumption happening globally, as consumers in every region adopt mobile and tablet video faster, and interact with it longer."
Mobile video viewers are also now consuming videos of at least 10 minutes in length (77%) and, despite the majority of videos viewed on tablets being short-form, 48% of overall viewing time was spent watching videos lasting 30 minutes or longer in Q1 2014.
In terms of operating system, Ooyala found that iOS continues to dominate viewing on mobile representing 60% of mobile video views in the U.S. However, Android smartphones dominate in Latin America with 53% of video views.
"These insights validate the tremendous opportunity for broadcasters and publishers to tap into additional multi-screen revenue streams, grow and maintain loyal audiences across all devices, and build a fundamentally better video business," said Fulcher.
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...