News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals 532% increase in mobile video viewing in two years
Almost a quarter of video viewing now takes place on a mobile device, according to a new report from online video technology firm Ooyala.
In the first quarter of 2014 21% of all online video plays were on a mobile or tablet, up from 9% in the first quarter of 2013 and 3.4% in the first quarter of 2012.
That's a 532% increase since 2012, states Ooyala following the release of its Q1 2014 Global Video Index. Mobile plays in Europe and Latin America, as a percentage of all online video viewing, are outstripping those in North America.
"The statistics in our Global Video Index continue to affirm our belief that mobile is in large part the future of video and TV consumption," said Jay Fulcher, chief executive officer at Ooyala. "We see the acceleration of mobile video consumption happening globally, as consumers in every region adopt mobile and tablet video faster, and interact with it longer."
Mobile video viewers are also now consuming videos of at least 10 minutes in length (77%) and, despite the majority of videos viewed on tablets being short-form, 48% of overall viewing time was spent watching videos lasting 30 minutes or longer in Q1 2014.
In terms of operating system, Ooyala found that iOS continues to dominate viewing on mobile representing 60% of mobile video views in the U.S. However, Android smartphones dominate in Latin America with 53% of video views.
"These insights validate the tremendous opportunity for broadcasters and publishers to tap into additional multi-screen revenue streams, grow and maintain loyal audiences across all devices, and build a fundamentally better video business," said Fulcher.
Image via Shutterstock
- Multitasking activity during TV viewing has little to do with the show being watched
- 65% of shoppers still rely on visits to physical stores during online shopping journey
- Internet ad revenues hit landmark high in first half of 2014
- Report: Product placements can recoup commercial losses
- Study highlights consumer behavior in tablet purchase journey
- Britain leads Europe's online shopping boom
- YouGov: Mobile commerce confidence grows among consumers
- Study finds the moments ads will most likely garner attention
Featured White Papers
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...