News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals 532% increase in mobile video viewing in two years
Almost a quarter of video viewing now takes place on a mobile device, according to a new report from online video technology firm Ooyala.
In the first quarter of 2014 21% of all online video plays were on a mobile or tablet, up from 9% in the first quarter of 2013 and 3.4% in the first quarter of 2012.
That's a 532% increase since 2012, states Ooyala following the release of its Q1 2014 Global Video Index. Mobile plays in Europe and Latin America, as a percentage of all online video viewing, are outstripping those in North America.
"The statistics in our Global Video Index continue to affirm our belief that mobile is in large part the future of video and TV consumption," said Jay Fulcher, chief executive officer at Ooyala. "We see the acceleration of mobile video consumption happening globally, as consumers in every region adopt mobile and tablet video faster, and interact with it longer."
Mobile video viewers are also now consuming videos of at least 10 minutes in length (77%) and, despite the majority of videos viewed on tablets being short-form, 48% of overall viewing time was spent watching videos lasting 30 minutes or longer in Q1 2014.
In terms of operating system, Ooyala found that iOS continues to dominate viewing on mobile representing 60% of mobile video views in the U.S. However, Android smartphones dominate in Latin America with 53% of video views.
"These insights validate the tremendous opportunity for broadcasters and publishers to tap into additional multi-screen revenue streams, grow and maintain loyal audiences across all devices, and build a fundamentally better video business," said Fulcher.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top retailers failing to meet consumer expectations of personalized comms
- Android ad blocking browser released by Adblock Plus
- How triggered emails can reduce shopping cart abandons
- How to better protect consumers' mobile privacy
- Expert: What Google buy buttons could mean for ecommerce
- Report highlights the 'mobile moments' of commuters
- Consumers keen to use new payment technology but businesses slow to adopt
- Ad Roundup: Integrations and new releases to offer more insights
Featured White Papers
- Email A/B Split Testing Guide
You worked hard creating great products, at least as hard growing a viable business to support them- and perhaps even...
- Not Provided Insights & Intelligence - 2015 Edition
Keywords are fundamental to your integrated SEO and Content Marketing strategies. gShift's Not Provided Guide will help you connect...
- Learn how to fill your funnel with high-quality leads
In this comprehensive, 160 page guide, we cover topics ranging from content marketing and website SEO to telesales and content...