News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals 532% increase in mobile video viewing in two years
Almost a quarter of video viewing now takes place on a mobile device, according to a new report from online video technology firm Ooyala.
In the first quarter of 2014 21% of all online video plays were on a mobile or tablet, up from 9% in the first quarter of 2013 and 3.4% in the first quarter of 2012.
That's a 532% increase since 2012, states Ooyala following the release of its Q1 2014 Global Video Index. Mobile plays in Europe and Latin America, as a percentage of all online video viewing, are outstripping those in North America.
"The statistics in our Global Video Index continue to affirm our belief that mobile is in large part the future of video and TV consumption," said Jay Fulcher, chief executive officer at Ooyala. "We see the acceleration of mobile video consumption happening globally, as consumers in every region adopt mobile and tablet video faster, and interact with it longer."
Mobile video viewers are also now consuming videos of at least 10 minutes in length (77%) and, despite the majority of videos viewed on tablets being short-form, 48% of overall viewing time was spent watching videos lasting 30 minutes or longer in Q1 2014.
In terms of operating system, Ooyala found that iOS continues to dominate viewing on mobile representing 60% of mobile video views in the U.S. However, Android smartphones dominate in Latin America with 53% of video views.
"These insights validate the tremendous opportunity for broadcasters and publishers to tap into additional multi-screen revenue streams, grow and maintain loyal audiences across all devices, and build a fundamentally better video business," said Fulcher.
Image via Shutterstock
- Report: Post-purchase contact key for future engagement
- Ad Roundup: Customer-focused releases
- UK retailers need to improve returns process
- Shoppers want more in-store tech
- Resolving customer issues quickly leads to greater brand loyalty
- Top 3 benefits for ecommerce success
- Research reveals extent of secondary revenue generation among UK retailers
- Report: Bot attempting to steal gift cards
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...