News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Report reveals 532% increase in mobile video viewing in two years
Almost a quarter of video viewing now takes place on a mobile device, according to a new report from online video technology firm Ooyala.
In the first quarter of 2014 21% of all online video plays were on a mobile or tablet, up from 9% in the first quarter of 2013 and 3.4% in the first quarter of 2012.
That's a 532% increase since 2012, states Ooyala following the release of its Q1 2014 Global Video Index. Mobile plays in Europe and Latin America, as a percentage of all online video viewing, are outstripping those in North America.
"The statistics in our Global Video Index continue to affirm our belief that mobile is in large part the future of video and TV consumption," said Jay Fulcher, chief executive officer at Ooyala. "We see the acceleration of mobile video consumption happening globally, as consumers in every region adopt mobile and tablet video faster, and interact with it longer."
Mobile video viewers are also now consuming videos of at least 10 minutes in length (77%) and, despite the majority of videos viewed on tablets being short-form, 48% of overall viewing time was spent watching videos lasting 30 minutes or longer in Q1 2014.
In terms of operating system, Ooyala found that iOS continues to dominate viewing on mobile representing 60% of mobile video views in the U.S. However, Android smartphones dominate in Latin America with 53% of video views.
"These insights validate the tremendous opportunity for broadcasters and publishers to tap into additional multi-screen revenue streams, grow and maintain loyal audiences across all devices, and build a fundamentally better video business," said Fulcher.
Image via Shutterstock
- Marketers beware - research your target market or risk stereotyping
- Google: U.S government user data requests up 250% since 2009
- Survey reveals general reluctance to pay for online content and apps
- Report: Online communities growing in importance
- Survey: Consumers want to share product details with friends
- PageFair: Adblocking Goes Mainstream
- Study: SMB's pushing the social media spend
- Report: BOPIS hot for the holidays
Featured White Papers
- Why the Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
Do you want to see why marketers are outsourcing their writing? Read this white paper to learn how external writers...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...
- The Social Hunger: Why Your Audience Feasts on Social Integration
For the past few years, marketers have 'woken up' to consumers who have the power to express their views anytime...
- The 8 Critical Metrics for Measuring App User Engagement
Measuring and optimizing for the right engagement metrics is the key to attaining and keeping users. Whether your business model...