News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over-50s feel ignored by brand marketers
Those in the over-50 age group believe brands just aren't interested in them, according to new survey results released by High50.
The over-50s have more free time and substantial disposable income. They experience high levels of positivity that stem from having more time to do the things they enjoy and knowing what they want.
Yet, according to a survey of 1,305 people between the age of 50 and 64 conducted by High50, a online global community designed for people over the age of 50, two-thirds feel that brands are 'not at all' or 'barely' interested in targeting them. A fifth believes they are totally excluded from brand marketing.
Technology brands such as Apple and Samsung were among those perceived to ignore over-50s the most with almost all, 95%, believing they were completely overlooked. YouTube performed the worst with just 3% of those surveyed believing the video network was targeted to them. Yet a fifth of survey respondents said they can't live without computer technology and a smartphone.
The brand that was perceived to directly target the older age group was Marks & Spencer (55%) followed by John Lewis (38%) and the BBC (31%).
"Our most economically powerful generation is one that is largely ignored by advertisers," said James Burrows, CEO of High50. "It is clear that existing preconceptions about the over fifties is significantly out-dated, and it's time we acknowledged that for many, becoming 50 is the start of the better half of their lives."
Image via Shutterstock
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
- Adobe: More online TV watched on smartphones than tablets
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...