News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over-50s feel ignored by brand marketers
Those in the over-50 age group believe brands just aren't interested in them, according to new survey results released by High50.
The over-50s have more free time and substantial disposable income. They experience high levels of positivity that stem from having more time to do the things they enjoy and knowing what they want.
Yet, according to a survey of 1,305 people between the age of 50 and 64 conducted by High50, a online global community designed for people over the age of 50, two-thirds feel that brands are 'not at all' or 'barely' interested in targeting them. A fifth believes they are totally excluded from brand marketing.
Technology brands such as Apple and Samsung were among those perceived to ignore over-50s the most with almost all, 95%, believing they were completely overlooked. YouTube performed the worst with just 3% of those surveyed believing the video network was targeted to them. Yet a fifth of survey respondents said they can't live without computer technology and a smartphone.
The brand that was perceived to directly target the older age group was Marks & Spencer (55%) followed by John Lewis (38%) and the BBC (31%).
"Our most economically powerful generation is one that is largely ignored by advertisers," said James Burrows, CEO of High50. "It is clear that existing preconceptions about the over fifties is significantly out-dated, and it's time we acknowledged that for many, becoming 50 is the start of the better half of their lives."
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 social trends to watch in 2015
- Why clicks will regain importance in 2015
- Security concerns cause 23% of consumers to shop less online
- Mobile and online key resource for last-minute Christmas shoppers
- Third of consumers never pay full price online
- Online cash register bells will continue ringing on Christmas Day and Boxing Day
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
Featured White Papers
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...