News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over-50s feel ignored by brand marketers
Those in the over-50 age group believe brands just aren't interested in them, according to new survey results released by High50.
The over-50s have more free time and substantial disposable income. They experience high levels of positivity that stem from having more time to do the things they enjoy and knowing what they want.
Yet, according to a survey of 1,305 people between the age of 50 and 64 conducted by High50, a online global community designed for people over the age of 50, two-thirds feel that brands are 'not at all' or 'barely' interested in targeting them. A fifth believes they are totally excluded from brand marketing.
Technology brands such as Apple and Samsung were among those perceived to ignore over-50s the most with almost all, 95%, believing they were completely overlooked. YouTube performed the worst with just 3% of those surveyed believing the video network was targeted to them. Yet a fifth of survey respondents said they can't live without computer technology and a smartphone.
The brand that was perceived to directly target the older age group was Marks & Spencer (55%) followed by John Lewis (38%) and the BBC (31%).
"Our most economically powerful generation is one that is largely ignored by advertisers," said James Burrows, CEO of High50. "It is clear that existing preconceptions about the over fifties is significantly out-dated, and it's time we acknowledged that for many, becoming 50 is the start of the better half of their lives."
Image via Shutterstock
- IAB report shows increasing commitment to digital video advertising
- Financial services industry reward programs falling short of consumer expectations
- Mixing work with personal life causes guilt among Generation Mobile
- Surveys point to what Mom wants
- Study: Facebook key for ecommerce
- Ad Roundup: More formats, reporting available to brands
- What drives reward program spending
- Forecast: Local media to slide mobile
Featured White Papers
- Design Matters: How To Create The Optimal Mobile Shopping Experience
Over two-thirds of US consumers under 50 say they would be happy if shopping evolved into a mobile-only experience, recent...
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...