News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over-50s feel ignored by brand marketers
Those in the over-50 age group believe brands just aren't interested in them, according to new survey results released by High50.
The over-50s have more free time and substantial disposable income. They experience high levels of positivity that stem from having more time to do the things they enjoy and knowing what they want.
Yet, according to a survey of 1,305 people between the age of 50 and 64 conducted by High50, a online global community designed for people over the age of 50, two-thirds feel that brands are 'not at all' or 'barely' interested in targeting them. A fifth believes they are totally excluded from brand marketing.
Technology brands such as Apple and Samsung were among those perceived to ignore over-50s the most with almost all, 95%, believing they were completely overlooked. YouTube performed the worst with just 3% of those surveyed believing the video network was targeted to them. Yet a fifth of survey respondents said they can't live without computer technology and a smartphone.
The brand that was perceived to directly target the older age group was Marks & Spencer (55%) followed by John Lewis (38%) and the BBC (31%).
"Our most economically powerful generation is one that is largely ignored by advertisers," said James Burrows, CEO of High50. "It is clear that existing preconceptions about the over fifties is significantly out-dated, and it's time we acknowledged that for many, becoming 50 is the start of the better half of their lives."
Image via Shutterstock
- Mondays a favorite of fraudsters
- Reports show strong Q3, point to strong Q4
- Mobile Roundup: iOS users converting more, device adoption continues to grow
- Study: Moms looking to tech to track family health
- Study reveals global consumer attitudes to cross-border ecommerce
- Apple Pay, HCE to drive NFC-based contactless payments
- Study finds omnichannel strategy can drive more revenue
- Top 3 tips to win with social this holiday season
Featured White Papers
- Move Beyond Batch and Blast Emails
Like many marketers, you've included email in your marketing mix for years. But while email remains a vital channel, traditional...
- Social Media Pocket Guide
In just a few short years, the world of social media has changed immensely. We'll walk through each of the...