News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Over-50s feel ignored by brand marketers
Those in the over-50 age group believe brands just aren't interested in them, according to new survey results released by High50.
The over-50s have more free time and substantial disposable income. They experience high levels of positivity that stem from having more time to do the things they enjoy and knowing what they want.
Yet, according to a survey of 1,305 people between the age of 50 and 64 conducted by High50, a online global community designed for people over the age of 50, two-thirds feel that brands are 'not at all' or 'barely' interested in targeting them. A fifth believes they are totally excluded from brand marketing.
Technology brands such as Apple and Samsung were among those perceived to ignore over-50s the most with almost all, 95%, believing they were completely overlooked. YouTube performed the worst with just 3% of those surveyed believing the video network was targeted to them. Yet a fifth of survey respondents said they can't live without computer technology and a smartphone.
The brand that was perceived to directly target the older age group was Marks & Spencer (55%) followed by John Lewis (38%) and the BBC (31%).
"Our most economically powerful generation is one that is largely ignored by advertisers," said James Burrows, CEO of High50. "It is clear that existing preconceptions about the over fifties is significantly out-dated, and it's time we acknowledged that for many, becoming 50 is the start of the better half of their lives."
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...