News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More consumers 'webroom' than 'showroom'
New research reveals that while retailers have been obsessing over the impact of showrooming there's another phenomenon that is rather more widespread - webrooming.
The opposite of showrooming is webrooming and, according to a new report from Merchant Warehouse, webrooming is a lot more prevalent than showrooming, particularly among younger shoppers.
While showrooming is the practice of visiting a store to view and test products and then going on to make a purchase online, webrooming refers to the practice of researching products online and then visiting a physical store to make a purchase.
Merchant Warehouse's research found that webrooming appears to be trumping showrooming and that is equally true among men and women. While three-quarters of men (75%) webroom, just over half (53%) showroom. Similarly, women are more likely to webroom (63%) than showroom (40%).
Furthermore, while 9 out of 10 showroomers have also webroomed, just 6 out of 10 webroomers have showroomed.
One reason webrooming is popular is that consumers find it easier to return an unwanted item to a store and, of course, many just like to be able to get touchy-feely with an item before making a purchase. Similarly, almost half (47%) wanted to avoid shipping costs associated with online purchases and 23% didn't want to have to wait for delivery of a product.
"Although many physical retail stores are suffering due to Internet-focused buying tendencies, it's not too late to turn things around," writes Merchant Warehouse in a company blog post. "By improving the in-store shopping process, retailers can convert showroomers into real customers and take advantage of the webrooming effect. When making these changes, it's best to unify all the relevant store, mobile and Web channels. This will create a continuity and flow for each customer experience."
- Study: Mobile key for online grocery buys
- Job Seekers: How to get the next job
- Top 3 tips to improve travel loyalty programs
- New Realeyes' research links emotional response to sales impact
- Coalition for Better Ads releases new guidance to curb consumer annoyance with ads
- Instagram's focus on business tools attracts SMB advertisers
- Traditional external agency model failing to meet marketers' needs
- Few marketers intend to invest in marketing technology in 2017
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...