News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
More consumers 'webroom' than 'showroom'
New research reveals that while retailers have been obsessing over the impact of showrooming there's another phenomenon that is rather more widespread - webrooming.
The opposite of showrooming is webrooming and, according to a new report from Merchant Warehouse, webrooming is a lot more prevalent than showrooming, particularly among younger shoppers.
While showrooming is the practice of visiting a store to view and test products and then going on to make a purchase online, webrooming refers to the practice of researching products online and then visiting a physical store to make a purchase.
Merchant Warehouse's research found that webrooming appears to be trumping showrooming and that is equally true among men and women. While three-quarters of men (75%) webroom, just over half (53%) showroom. Similarly, women are more likely to webroom (63%) than showroom (40%).
Furthermore, while 9 out of 10 showroomers have also webroomed, just 6 out of 10 webroomers have showroomed.
One reason webrooming is popular is that consumers find it easier to return an unwanted item to a store and, of course, many just like to be able to get touchy-feely with an item before making a purchase. Similarly, almost half (47%) wanted to avoid shipping costs associated with online purchases and 23% didn't want to have to wait for delivery of a product.
"Although many physical retail stores are suffering due to Internet-focused buying tendencies, it's not too late to turn things around," writes Merchant Warehouse in a company blog post. "By improving the in-store shopping process, retailers can convert showroomers into real customers and take advantage of the webrooming effect. When making these changes, it's best to unify all the relevant store, mobile and Web channels. This will create a continuity and flow for each customer experience."
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...