News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile, Internet retailers to score big during FIFA World Cup
Research from VoucherCodes.co.uk shows the connection between how far the England team make it in the upcoming FIFA World Cup and how much will be spent on mobile and online.
According to VoucherCodes.co.uk, if England makes it to the second stage of the World Cup, which starts on 12 June, £38 million will be spent via mobile in the UK. However, if the England squad make it through to the finals that figure will more than double to £79 million.
Similarly, as fans spend their days stuck to the sofa watching the games on television, or on their tablets or desktop, Internet retailers will see an additional £174.71 million being spent online, mostly in home deliveries of food and drink. As with mobile, should the England team make it to the finals, that figure is expected to rise 110% to £367.49 million.
"The World Cup is going to be the biggest retail event in 2014, providing an expected £1.3 billion boost for UK retailers, pubs and clubs," said VoucherCodes.co.uk managing director Claire Davenport.
"With 23 million fans expected to celebrate England's successes by heading to the pub, upgrading to the latest TV or buying England memorabilia, the retail industry should think ahead and help fans by providing tailored World Cup deals and discounts."
Overall, the World Cup is estimated to generate a £1.3 billion sales boost for UK retailers, pubs and restaurants if England makes it through the second round rising to £2.58 billion if England makes it to the final - that's a spend of around £110 for each of the 23 million UK fans.
Image via Shutterstock
- FTC's new 'merchandise rule' to come into effect before Christmas
- Brands: Why content needs better optimization
- Ad Roundup: Partnerships and acquisitions to improve platforms
- Consumers prefer SMS to apps for brand communications
- Physical stores still popular with young fashion shoppers
- Britain has more female gamers than male
- Permission-based email marketers still finding inbox placement hard work
- Study: Mobile driving travel plans
Featured White Papers
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...