News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile, Internet retailers to score big during FIFA World Cup
Research from VoucherCodes.co.uk shows the connection between how far the England team make it in the upcoming FIFA World Cup and how much will be spent on mobile and online.
According to VoucherCodes.co.uk, if England makes it to the second stage of the World Cup, which starts on 12 June, £38 million will be spent via mobile in the UK. However, if the England squad make it through to the finals that figure will more than double to £79 million.
Similarly, as fans spend their days stuck to the sofa watching the games on television, or on their tablets or desktop, Internet retailers will see an additional £174.71 million being spent online, mostly in home deliveries of food and drink. As with mobile, should the England team make it to the finals, that figure is expected to rise 110% to £367.49 million.
"The World Cup is going to be the biggest retail event in 2014, providing an expected £1.3 billion boost for UK retailers, pubs and clubs," said VoucherCodes.co.uk managing director Claire Davenport.
"With 23 million fans expected to celebrate England's successes by heading to the pub, upgrading to the latest TV or buying England memorabilia, the retail industry should think ahead and help fans by providing tailored World Cup deals and discounts."
Overall, the World Cup is estimated to generate a £1.3 billion sales boost for UK retailers, pubs and restaurants if England makes it through the second round rising to £2.58 billion if England makes it to the final - that's a spend of around £110 for each of the 23 million UK fans.
Image via Shutterstock
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
- Top 3 tips for SMBs using webinars
- Air passengers demand constant connectivity and fast in-flight Wi-Fi
- Power Users + Loyal Users = App Stickiness
- Shareaholic: Quarter of website traffic driven by Facebook
- B2B firms struggling with content marketing
- Brands piggy-backing on major events not guaranteed success
Featured White Papers
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...