News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile app users happy to opt-in to location-tracking
Assumptions surrounding consumers' dislike of being 'stalked' by mobile marketers have been quashed by new research from mobile marketing provider Urban Airship.
Legislation in the U.S. could change the landscape for location-based apps amid growing concerns about mobile users' privacy. Some believe that location-based marketing apps are tantamount to stalking.
But to what extent are mobile users happy to share their location? After analyzing 4 billion push messages from more than 1,000 mobile apps, Urban Airship found that almost two-thirds (62%) of mobile users were happy to opt-in to share their location with such app providers. Among the apps analyzed, location opt-in rates varied from 60% to 80%.
According to Scott Kveton, CEO at Urban Airship, their analysis revealed that "assumptions around consumers being reluctant to share location are false and massively short-sell mobile" and that users "value the location-based functionality of apps".
"Users obviously value apps' location-based functionality to earn the opt-in, just as the best apps do with push notifications by explaining its value and using it in personally relevant ways," said Kveton.
Other findings from Urban Airship's 'Good Push Index' study include:
- Highly targeted push messages drive 293% more response on average than broadcast messages (with some verticals achieving nearly 7x greater response);
- Even a single targeting element like location history can dramatically boost message response rates;
- Many apps see more users opt in to share their location than opt in to push.
Image via Shutterstock
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
- Top 3 tips to improve employee productivity
- Retailers: Why you need live online assistance for the 2014 holidays
- Top 3 tips to create better transactional email messages
- Facebook enables ad targeting by connection speed
- UK: Lousy public holiday weather drives take-out food search surge
Featured White Papers
- How to Maximize, Manage, and Measure Organic Search
Organic search delivers high-quality traffic and revenue with a high contribution margin. But organic search is hard, and it's getting...
- Ready, Set, Send: Marketing Automation and the Customer Lifecycle
Much like running a marathon, building a successful marketing program takes dedication, patience, training and a lot of stamina. These...