News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile app users happy to opt-in to location-tracking
Assumptions surrounding consumers' dislike of being 'stalked' by mobile marketers have been quashed by new research from mobile marketing provider Urban Airship.
Legislation in the U.S. could change the landscape for location-based apps amid growing concerns about mobile users' privacy. Some believe that location-based marketing apps are tantamount to stalking.
But to what extent are mobile users happy to share their location? After analyzing 4 billion push messages from more than 1,000 mobile apps, Urban Airship found that almost two-thirds (62%) of mobile users were happy to opt-in to share their location with such app providers. Among the apps analyzed, location opt-in rates varied from 60% to 80%.
According to Scott Kveton, CEO at Urban Airship, their analysis revealed that "assumptions around consumers being reluctant to share location are false and massively short-sell mobile" and that users "value the location-based functionality of apps".
"Users obviously value apps' location-based functionality to earn the opt-in, just as the best apps do with push notifications by explaining its value and using it in personally relevant ways," said Kveton.
Other findings from Urban Airship's 'Good Push Index' study include:
- Highly targeted push messages drive 293% more response on average than broadcast messages (with some verticals achieving nearly 7x greater response);
- Even a single targeting element like location history can dramatically boost message response rates;
- Many apps see more users opt in to share their location than opt in to push.
Image via Shutterstock
- Study: Retailers aren't ready for next-gen tech
- Expert Advice: Invest in Near Field Communications
- Top struggles for email marketers
- Campaigner suggests marketers reset campaigns not just clocks
- Brands: How to use in-memory tech to increase personalization
- Study finds mobile payments high on consumers' minds
- Does Facebook really pose a threat to YouTube?
- In a digital age Out of Home advertising memorable and complementary
Featured White Papers
- CRM and Marketing Automation Integration for the Ultimate ROI
The number of companies using marketing automation will increase by 50% by 2015, according to research from Sirius Decisions. But...
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...