News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Mobile app users happy to opt-in to location-tracking
Assumptions surrounding consumers' dislike of being 'stalked' by mobile marketers have been quashed by new research from mobile marketing provider Urban Airship.
Legislation in the U.S. could change the landscape for location-based apps amid growing concerns about mobile users' privacy. Some believe that location-based marketing apps are tantamount to stalking.
But to what extent are mobile users happy to share their location? After analyzing 4 billion push messages from more than 1,000 mobile apps, Urban Airship found that almost two-thirds (62%) of mobile users were happy to opt-in to share their location with such app providers. Among the apps analyzed, location opt-in rates varied from 60% to 80%.
According to Scott Kveton, CEO at Urban Airship, their analysis revealed that "assumptions around consumers being reluctant to share location are false and massively short-sell mobile" and that users "value the location-based functionality of apps".
"Users obviously value apps' location-based functionality to earn the opt-in, just as the best apps do with push notifications by explaining its value and using it in personally relevant ways," said Kveton.
Other findings from Urban Airship's 'Good Push Index' study include:
- Highly targeted push messages drive 293% more response on average than broadcast messages (with some verticals achieving nearly 7x greater response);
- Even a single targeting element like location history can dramatically boost message response rates;
- Many apps see more users opt in to share their location than opt in to push.
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad RoundUp: Partnerships increase ad support across channels
- Report: Fraud, conversions linked to traffic numbers
- Mobile Roundup: New solutions, partnerships to help mobile brands
- Expert: Non-Profits can thrive in the online space
- Mobile Roundup: Mobile wallets upping the retail ante
- Report: US, UK users vulnerable because of passwords
- Study: Images linked to email success
- Millennial Media: Video increases engagement
Featured White Papers
- Measure What Matters: Five Features to Enable Now On Google Analytics
Google Analytics is an excellent tool for gaining insights into user behavior and gathering data for site optimization. Unfortunately, in...
- A lot of what you know about email marketing could be wrong
There is a lot of email-marketing advice floating around out there. And, frankly, a lot of it is bad. Hunches...