News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB: 28% of UK display advertising traded programmatically
New figures just released by the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) show that the share of ads purchased programmatically, defined as being bought and sold using automated systems and processes such as real-time bidding auctions, is set to rise significantly.
Last year, direct sales between publishers and agencies/advertisers accounted for 51% of digital display ad sales in the UK. Almost a quarter (22%) were bought through ad networks.
Almost half (47%) of ads will be bought through programmatic technologies during 2014 but this is set to rise to between 60-75% of total digital display advertising by 2017.
The research, conducted by MTM for the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) reveals that last year 28% of the $3.16 billion spent on display ads online and on mobile was traded programmatically accounting for about $851 million in spend.
Within just the mobile environment, 37% were programmatic trades.
The reason programmatic is more prevalent on mobile is, says Tim Elkington, director of research and strategy at the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK), because "it's a more fragmented ecosystem and, being relatively harder to monetize, has enabled a wide range of intermediaries to develop more quickly, particularly having learned lessons from serving ads programmatically on PCs".
- UK businesses failing to consistently and effectively employ social for customer support
- How to tell if interactions are successful or not
- Report: In case of emergency, try cell
- Retailers failing to maximize use of social shopping websites
- Home pages of retail websites failing to load fast enough
- U.K. ecommerce websites improve delivery options to tap overseas customers
- Forecast: More to invest in multi-screen ads
- Forrester: Mobile social users more engaged, share more
Featured White Papers
- Learn the True Importance of Global Brand Management
Effective branding has always been an important part of business and is an especially important component of the customer experience,...
- 10 Best Practices for a Successful Digital Asset Management Implementation
Rich media and digital content are pervasive in organizations and continue to grow exponentially. Every aspect of the business world...
- Why The Smartest Marketers Have External Writing Teams
A successful content strategy includes many moving parts: content planning, content creation, content promotion, measuring your content's performance and optimizing...