News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB: 28% of UK display advertising traded programmatically
New figures just released by the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) show that the share of ads purchased programmatically, defined as being bought and sold using automated systems and processes such as real-time bidding auctions, is set to rise significantly.
Last year, direct sales between publishers and agencies/advertisers accounted for 51% of digital display ad sales in the UK. Almost a quarter (22%) were bought through ad networks.
Almost half (47%) of ads will be bought through programmatic technologies during 2014 but this is set to rise to between 60-75% of total digital display advertising by 2017.
The research, conducted by MTM for the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) reveals that last year 28% of the $3.16 billion spent on display ads online and on mobile was traded programmatically accounting for about $851 million in spend.
Within just the mobile environment, 37% were programmatic trades.
The reason programmatic is more prevalent on mobile is, says Tim Elkington, director of research and strategy at the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK), because "it's a more fragmented ecosystem and, being relatively harder to monetize, has enabled a wide range of intermediaries to develop more quickly, particularly having learned lessons from serving ads programmatically on PCs".
- Super Bowl winners and losers
- Report: Time spent on mobile skewing to apps
- Study: Loyalty higher for mall-wide programs
- Top 3 challenges facing retailers and how to solve them
- Ad viewability levels down across Europe
- Virtual Reality: Seeing, and trying, is believing and buying
- Expert: Retail's trends to watch
- Mobile Roundup: Platforms to simplify work, personal lives
Featured White Papers
- The Ultimate Guide to Website Personalization
There is a wealth of methods to put your company's data to work; by far, personalization is one of the...