News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB: 28% of UK display advertising traded programmatically
New figures just released by the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) show that the share of ads purchased programmatically, defined as being bought and sold using automated systems and processes such as real-time bidding auctions, is set to rise significantly.
Last year, direct sales between publishers and agencies/advertisers accounted for 51% of digital display ad sales in the UK. Almost a quarter (22%) were bought through ad networks.
Almost half (47%) of ads will be bought through programmatic technologies during 2014 but this is set to rise to between 60-75% of total digital display advertising by 2017.
The research, conducted by MTM for the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) reveals that last year 28% of the $3.16 billion spent on display ads online and on mobile was traded programmatically accounting for about $851 million in spend.
Within just the mobile environment, 37% were programmatic trades.
The reason programmatic is more prevalent on mobile is, says Tim Elkington, director of research and strategy at the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK), because "it's a more fragmented ecosystem and, being relatively harder to monetize, has enabled a wide range of intermediaries to develop more quickly, particularly having learned lessons from serving ads programmatically on PCs".
- Top 3 tips to ensure content is global-ready
- Survey: SMBs missing out by not being online
- Report: State of mobile travel
- PayPal wants users to eat their (pass)words
- 'Visually wired' disposition behind massive rise in infographic use
- Half of British consumers believe drone deliveries will never happen
- Social Roundup: How brands are engaging in social
- Targeted ads give Internet users the creeps
Featured White Papers
- Tasty Tips From Marketing's Master Chefs
The art and science of effective marketing and demand generation is like a great recipe- Marketing master chefs turn traditional...
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...