News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
IAB: 28% of UK display advertising traded programmatically
New figures just released by the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) show that the share of ads purchased programmatically, defined as being bought and sold using automated systems and processes such as real-time bidding auctions, is set to rise significantly.
Last year, direct sales between publishers and agencies/advertisers accounted for 51% of digital display ad sales in the UK. Almost a quarter (22%) were bought through ad networks.
Almost half (47%) of ads will be bought through programmatic technologies during 2014 but this is set to rise to between 60-75% of total digital display advertising by 2017.
The research, conducted by MTM for the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK) reveals that last year 28% of the $3.16 billion spent on display ads online and on mobile was traded programmatically accounting for about $851 million in spend.
Within just the mobile environment, 37% were programmatic trades.
The reason programmatic is more prevalent on mobile is, says Tim Elkington, director of research and strategy at the Internet Advertising Bureau (UK), because "it's a more fragmented ecosystem and, being relatively harder to monetize, has enabled a wide range of intermediaries to develop more quickly, particularly having learned lessons from serving ads programmatically on PCs".
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
- Study: 3/4 will use phones for holiday shopping
- Studies: Shoppers want connection
- Brands: What to prep now for Thanksgiving Weekend
- Would your website earn Google's mobile-friendly label?
- Third of UK online retailers are not ready for the Christmas rush
- Study: Consumers find driving need to be always on
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...