News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How social media is trending the FIFA World Cup
About half of viewers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup will be watching via mobile devices. That's the takeaway from a new survey out from RadiumOne, which also indicates Facebook will beat out Twitter for World Cup fans.
In fact, about one-quarter of those surveyed say they'll stay up-to-date on World Cup happenings via mobile devices according to the Radium One data. Younger adults (aged 18-24) are 2.5 times more likely to 'tune in' to the World Cup over multiple devices while women are expected to use mobile to follow the games more than men.
First, CrowdTap data indicates about three-quarters of FIFA World Cup fans will be on social media while watching the games; nearly half (42%) are likely to post status updates about favorite ads during the games. CrowdTap's data further indicates:
• 52% of fans are more likely to follow a brand post-World Cup over following a team
• 47% will post status updates about favorite plays during the game
• 55% say they'll share World Cup ads to support brands they like
• 65% prefer Facebook, 17% prefer Twitter
• 58% say smartphones or computers are favored devices, 37% prefer tablets
Meanwhile, Shift is breaking down the social make-up of soccer fans. Their data shows the partner companies for the World Cup are skewing toward Facebook - with fans of brands like Coca-Cola, VISA and KIA numbering nearly 100 million while Twitter followers of those same brands number about 5 million. Other interesting findings from Shift include:
• Twitter boasts 50 million soccer fans world wide (29 million male, 21 million female)
• During the 2010 World Cup final Twitter caught 3200 tweets per second
• The top 6 teams all have more Facebook than Twitter followers
The full Shift infographic can be found here.
Image via Shutterstock
- Experts: App usage will change in 2015
- How data will influence 2015
- Top 4 investments to make in 2015
- Researchers use Yelp to predict a restaurant's chances of survival
- Are your employees stifling yawns during status meetings?
- Survey reveals the odd places consumers shop by mobile
- Marketers urged to lower ad viewability expectations
- 50% of consumers who want marketing comms prefer them via email
Featured White Papers
- 7 Myths About Online Reviews
When it comes to building and maintaining trust in your brand, online reviews are an extremely valuable addition to your...
- Targeting (That's on target)
"Hopeful messaging is wasted messaging. Clear targeting means more than just Who. It also demands a knowledge of How, When,...
- Leveraging Facebook to Improve ROI on Brand Sites
Rather than deserting your brand site for a Facebook Fan Page, the best digital marketing strategies incorporate a Facebook presence...