News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How social media is trending the FIFA World Cup
About half of viewers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup will be watching via mobile devices. That's the takeaway from a new survey out from RadiumOne, which also indicates Facebook will beat out Twitter for World Cup fans.
In fact, about one-quarter of those surveyed say they'll stay up-to-date on World Cup happenings via mobile devices according to the Radium One data. Younger adults (aged 18-24) are 2.5 times more likely to 'tune in' to the World Cup over multiple devices while women are expected to use mobile to follow the games more than men.
First, CrowdTap data indicates about three-quarters of FIFA World Cup fans will be on social media while watching the games; nearly half (42%) are likely to post status updates about favorite ads during the games. CrowdTap's data further indicates:
• 52% of fans are more likely to follow a brand post-World Cup over following a team
• 47% will post status updates about favorite plays during the game
• 55% say they'll share World Cup ads to support brands they like
• 65% prefer Facebook, 17% prefer Twitter
• 58% say smartphones or computers are favored devices, 37% prefer tablets
Meanwhile, Shift is breaking down the social make-up of soccer fans. Their data shows the partner companies for the World Cup are skewing toward Facebook - with fans of brands like Coca-Cola, VISA and KIA numbering nearly 100 million while Twitter followers of those same brands number about 5 million. Other interesting findings from Shift include:
• Twitter boasts 50 million soccer fans world wide (29 million male, 21 million female)
• During the 2010 World Cup final Twitter caught 3200 tweets per second
• The top 6 teams all have more Facebook than Twitter followers
The full Shift infographic can be found here.
Image via Shutterstock
- Mobile video content more effective on publishers' website than social
- Email open rate in UK higher on tablets than US
- IAB: No YoY rise in UK ad-blocking
- Report: Over half of Millennials have or will use Bots
- Report: Finances key to engaging Boomers
- Top 3 tips to strengthen travel-based ad strategy
- Report IDs differences in how people use social
- Ad Roundup: Platform expansions and a partnership
Featured White Papers
- Learn Why 83% of Advertisers Are Reporting Superior Outcomes With People-Based Ads
Traditional digital display advertising doesn't work. The information in this report is based on an online survey of 350 senior...
- 2016 Email Marketing Metrics Benchmark Study
To build a world-class marketing program, it's crucial to compare yourself to the best performers - but competitor data can...
- 10 Ways to Use Customer Lifetime Value to Reinvent Your Marketing Strategy
CLV insights can help you to attract high-margin customers, target clusters of customers with untapped value, and retain high-value customers...
- 16 Innovative Loyalty Programs of 2016
Engaging customers in a loyalty program is no easy feat. Read how 16 brands grabbed headlines in 2016 by launching...