News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
How social media is trending the FIFA World Cup
About half of viewers for the 2014 FIFA World Cup will be watching via mobile devices. That's the takeaway from a new survey out from RadiumOne, which also indicates Facebook will beat out Twitter for World Cup fans.
In fact, about one-quarter of those surveyed say they'll stay up-to-date on World Cup happenings via mobile devices according to the Radium One data. Younger adults (aged 18-24) are 2.5 times more likely to 'tune in' to the World Cup over multiple devices while women are expected to use mobile to follow the games more than men.
First, CrowdTap data indicates about three-quarters of FIFA World Cup fans will be on social media while watching the games; nearly half (42%) are likely to post status updates about favorite ads during the games. CrowdTap's data further indicates:
• 52% of fans are more likely to follow a brand post-World Cup over following a team
• 47% will post status updates about favorite plays during the game
• 55% say they'll share World Cup ads to support brands they like
• 65% prefer Facebook, 17% prefer Twitter
• 58% say smartphones or computers are favored devices, 37% prefer tablets
Meanwhile, Shift is breaking down the social make-up of soccer fans. Their data shows the partner companies for the World Cup are skewing toward Facebook - with fans of brands like Coca-Cola, VISA and KIA numbering nearly 100 million while Twitter followers of those same brands number about 5 million. Other interesting findings from Shift include:
• Twitter boasts 50 million soccer fans world wide (29 million male, 21 million female)
• During the 2010 World Cup final Twitter caught 3200 tweets per second
• The top 6 teams all have more Facebook than Twitter followers
The full Shift infographic can be found here.
Image via Shutterstock
- Driving website traffic revealed as retailers' biggest challenge
- Revenues from tablet games to triple in next five years
- Marketers must react to changing consumer behavior caused by technology
- Facebook launches Event ads to appear in Newsfeeds
- UK: Online Christmas shopping to exceed £13 billion
- Top 3 retail tips to personalize across channels
- Expert Advice: Use in-store techniques to sell online
- Twitter helps agency campaigns take off with Flight School
Featured White Papers
- Expert Panel: Brand Strategists Answer Top 5 Social Questions
During SXSW Interactive, we gathered a team of five leading brand strategists to answer the five most pressing social questions...
- The Truth About Cloud Security
"Security" is the number one issue holding business leaders back from the cloud. But does the reality match the perception?...
- 5 Ways to Personalize Beyond the Subject Line
Many marketers are still using batch and blast tactics for their emails and are often limited in their personalization efforts...