News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Forecast: Spending on Dad will be up this year
A forecast just out from BrandKeys indicates kids will be spending a little more on dear ol' dad this year. About 7% more, as a matter of fact. While Mom still rules, kids are expected to spend about $145 on Dad this year.
"That's the precise increase we saw for Mother's Day spending this year," said Robert Passikoff, founder and president, Brand Keys.
As for what they'll buy, the survey indicates about 45% of dad will get gift cards while about one-quarter will receive clothing or tools. Just over 40% of kids will shop department stores while 36% are expected to buy at discount stores and 35% will buy gifts online.
Meanwhile, new data from The Retail Gift Card Association finds 100% of American's surveyed in their report have used a gift card in the past year while 77% have given a gift card. About 21% offered Mom gift cards to restaurants for Mother's Day while 23% say they'll give Dad a home improvement store gift card for Father's Day.
"Our survey showed that gift cards remain popular choices for two key reasons: gift givers can be assured recipients will be able to purchase what they want, and the cards are convenient for recipients since they can be spent in-store, online or on their mobile phones," said Mary Donovan, Executive Director of the RGCA. "Consumers have a lot of options, but they're confident that gift cards deliver. With more than two thirds of Americans planning to give gift cards this season, it would be wise for retailers to ramp up their card marketing efforts for the spring and summer gifting months."
Image via Shutterstock
- Ad Roundup: Launches to increase mobile, social capabilities
- Zendesk: Brand promoters talk less, detractors talk more
- Spending up but enthusiasm down for Halloween celebrations in the UK
- Study: Santa's Using SaaS
- Brits have financial concerns in the run up to Christmas
- Top 3 tips to create a solid cross-device strategy
- Ad Roundup: Mobile video and retargeting solutions
- Forecast: 27% of holiday buys could be 'lost' to abandoned carts
Featured White Papers
- The 5 Worst Things a Creative Can Say
Among the common phrases used in creative services teams there is a group that are deceptively harmless because we hear...
- 5 Ways to Ensure your Social Brand Gets Noticed
In the world of social sponsorships today the key to success is not just awareness but recognition. The path to...
- How Marketers Can Earn Respect at the Revenue Table
Your CEO might not care how many emails you sent last week, but they do care about revenue. To earn...
- How to Create a More Social Business
Download this whitepaper to learn about the current state of social media adoption and see where the most innovative companies...
- The Definitive Guide to Duplicate Listings
In the Local SEO biz, we spend a lot of time dealing with duplicate business listings. Duplicate records of your...