News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook tweaks newsfeed video ranking
As more marketers and advertisers play with video formats, Facebook has announced it is giving more weight to them in the newsfeed algorithm. The change will determine what the social network's users see from both their friends and brands.
Over the past six months, video views on Facebook have doubled. But not everyone wants to watch videos on the social network.
That's why Facebook has announced a new algorithm that will determine those who have an interest in watching video on the social network and those who have no interest. Those that have engaged with video content will see more and those that have shown little interest will see less.
Facebook determines whether a user has an interest in watching video by analyzing how often and for how long they watched a video. Previously this was determined by only taking into account Likes, comments and Shares.
However, the changes only apply to videos uploaded to Facebook and will not apply to videos that come from third-party sources such as YouTube.
"This improvement means that videos that people choose to watch will reach a larger audience, while videos that people ignore will be shown to fewer people," said Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- 'Commuter Commerce' worth £9.3 billion each year
- Research uncovers ways in which Millennials 'game' e-commerce
- Study finds that 'data for discounts' consumer behavior is a fallacy
- Ad Roundup: Solutions for ads, optimization, mobile work
- Top 3 don't's for telecom customer service
- Kahuna: Brands must engage for apps to work
- Research highlights effectiveness of in-app messaging
- Facebook tests 10-second video views and monetization
Featured White Papers
- The Big Impact of Big Data on Affiliate Marketing
If you are relying on affiliate networks you have no access to vital data to manage affiliate processes such as...
- 8th Annual Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report
Download the Online Retail Holiday Readiness Report for 2015 to find out about the latest trends, industry benchmarks and best...