News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook tweaks newsfeed video ranking
As more marketers and advertisers play with video formats, Facebook has announced it is giving more weight to them in the newsfeed algorithm. The change will determine what the social network's users see from both their friends and brands.
Over the past six months, video views on Facebook have doubled. But not everyone wants to watch videos on the social network.
That's why Facebook has announced a new algorithm that will determine those who have an interest in watching video on the social network and those who have no interest. Those that have engaged with video content will see more and those that have shown little interest will see less.
Facebook determines whether a user has an interest in watching video by analyzing how often and for how long they watched a video. Previously this was determined by only taking into account Likes, comments and Shares.
However, the changes only apply to videos uploaded to Facebook and will not apply to videos that come from third-party sources such as YouTube.
"This improvement means that videos that people choose to watch will reach a larger audience, while videos that people ignore will be shown to fewer people," said Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- UK consumers will have 12 billion click-to-call conversations this year
- Brands risk reputation when delivery speeds do not match purchaser expectations
- Ad experience improves but ad blocking still rising
- Research reveals power of user-generated images in reviews
- Study: Visuals important in reviews
- Consumers increasingly comfortable with mHealth options
- Study: Personalization important for rewards
- Retailers: How to use out-of-store events to engage
Featured White Papers
- The Keys to a 'Stop 'em & Grab 'em' Landing Page
Follow these keys when developing your landing page, and in no time you will have all of the traffic and...