News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook tweaks newsfeed video ranking
As more marketers and advertisers play with video formats, Facebook has announced it is giving more weight to them in the newsfeed algorithm. The change will determine what the social network's users see from both their friends and brands.
Over the past six months, video views on Facebook have doubled. But not everyone wants to watch videos on the social network.
That's why Facebook has announced a new algorithm that will determine those who have an interest in watching video on the social network and those who have no interest. Those that have engaged with video content will see more and those that have shown little interest will see less.
Facebook determines whether a user has an interest in watching video by analyzing how often and for how long they watched a video. Previously this was determined by only taking into account Likes, comments and Shares.
However, the changes only apply to videos uploaded to Facebook and will not apply to videos that come from third-party sources such as YouTube.
"This improvement means that videos that people choose to watch will reach a larger audience, while videos that people ignore will be shown to fewer people," said Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- Expert: How mobile is changing customer relationships
- Netflix dominates U.S. peak Internet traffic
- Omni-channel shopping putting pressure on stores to raise shopper engagement
- Big spending forecast for UK Black Friday
- Do you know why online shoppers abandon carts?
- Travel study reveals extent of travelers' frustration with poorly performing apps, websites
- Top 3 tips for effective native ad campaigns
- Top 3 email tips for the 2014 holidays
Featured White Papers
- Definitive Guide to Marketing Metrics and Analytics
Download this 70-page, all-encompassing guide to learn the right metrics for understanding and interpreting marketing results, why measuring marketing programs...
- From Average to Elite: 7 Secrets of Today's Top Marketers
Marketing is more chaotic than ever. Pleasing multiple stakeholders, juggling random request inputs and collecting meaningful data from project teams...
- Marketing Attribution in the New World
We all know that consumers generally do not convert after seeing just one advertisement. How do we decide which campaign...