News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook tweaks newsfeed video ranking
As more marketers and advertisers play with video formats, Facebook has announced it is giving more weight to them in the newsfeed algorithm. The change will determine what the social network's users see from both their friends and brands.
Over the past six months, video views on Facebook have doubled. But not everyone wants to watch videos on the social network.
That's why Facebook has announced a new algorithm that will determine those who have an interest in watching video on the social network and those who have no interest. Those that have engaged with video content will see more and those that have shown little interest will see less.
Facebook determines whether a user has an interest in watching video by analyzing how often and for how long they watched a video. Previously this was determined by only taking into account Likes, comments and Shares.
However, the changes only apply to videos uploaded to Facebook and will not apply to videos that come from third-party sources such as YouTube.
"This improvement means that videos that people choose to watch will reach a larger audience, while videos that people ignore will be shown to fewer people," said Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- GoDaddy, Microsoft partner for SMB solution
- Report: 1 in 4 execs want more transparency
- SMB Roundup: Launches to simplify content, listings
- Study tracks effects of Google search engine updates on user behavior
- Excessive use of in-store beacon technology decreases app use
- Report urges brands to go their own way and sell direct
- Forecast: Local media revs to push $140b
- Consumers more likely to be loyal to brands with a physical presence
Featured White Papers
- Re-Engineer Your Business For Mobile Moments
More than ever, customers are turning to their mobile devices to browse, shop, and research. This increase in usage puts...
- Evolving Toward the Next Phase of Email
According to most corporate decision makers and influencers, email is the single most important application they have deployed! The typical...
- 6 Ways to Boost Holiday Sales & Fuel Year-round Growth
Just as the shopping seasons guide demand in many categories, they shape the conversation around these categories as well. How...
- No Longer a Necessary Evil: How Modern CRM Empowers Sales
CRM has long been seen as a must-have sales tool. However, much of the value of traditional CRM accrues to...