News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook tweaks newsfeed video ranking
As more marketers and advertisers play with video formats, Facebook has announced it is giving more weight to them in the newsfeed algorithm. The change will determine what the social network's users see from both their friends and brands.
Over the past six months, video views on Facebook have doubled. But not everyone wants to watch videos on the social network.
That's why Facebook has announced a new algorithm that will determine those who have an interest in watching video on the social network and those who have no interest. Those that have engaged with video content will see more and those that have shown little interest will see less.
Facebook determines whether a user has an interest in watching video by analyzing how often and for how long they watched a video. Previously this was determined by only taking into account Likes, comments and Shares.
However, the changes only apply to videos uploaded to Facebook and will not apply to videos that come from third-party sources such as YouTube.
"This improvement means that videos that people choose to watch will reach a larger audience, while videos that people ignore will be shown to fewer people," said Facebook in a recent blog post.
Image via Shutterstock
- Pinterest introduces new search tool to attract men to the network
- Study: Dirty Data a problem for marketers
- Top 3 things consumers really want from brands
- Surveys: Why social, mobile might rule the Super Bowl
- How new data collection techniques may impact your business
- Photographs among Brits' most treasured possessions
- Restaurant tech can leave servers more time to focus on dining experience
- NRF forecasts bigger spending this Valentine's Day
Featured White Papers
- 6 Blueprints for Social Network Success
The Big 6 social networks offer tremendous marketing opportunites--and each one is very different. That's why Spredfast has assembled our...
- CRM's Dirty Little Secret: How to Avoid CRM Sticker Shock
The way companies use and pay for customer relationship management software has changed significantly over the past decade. Moving from...