News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook looks outside of socnet to better target ads
Facebook users don't mind seeing ads on the social network, as long as those ads are relevant. While Facebook currently discovers users' interests via activity on the social network, that is set to change.
Facebook will soon begin using users' browsing activity outside the social network to target ads. This will be the first time Facebook has strayed outside of the network's boundaries to influence targeted ads.
The company announced the changes to targeted advertising late last week.
"Today, we learn about your interests primarily from the things you do on Facebook, such as Pages you Like," says Facebook in a blog post. "Starting soon in the US, we will also include information from some of the websites and apps you use."
In the same blog post, Facebook announced they are giving users more control over the ads they see with the introduction of an ad preference tool. The tool will be accessible from all ads on Facebook and will allow users to add and remove interests to further tailor their ad experience on the network.
Image via Shutterstock
- Localytics: App engagement up, retention declines
- Knowledge of marketing automation low among senior-level marketers
- Study: Data tools don't stop cross-channel challenges
- Reports: Mobile economy flourishing
- Top 3 trends to push marketers ahead in 2015
- Consumers want marketing email based on previous purchases
- Kenshoo highlights rise in Facebook ad spend
- Study: Americans don't understand their health plan
Featured White Papers
- Worksheet: Are You Ready for Marketing Automation?
Download this worksheet to determine if your company is ready to use marketing automation. Regardless of your score, there's good...
- Benchmark Report: Data Drives Social Media Performance
After analyzing 1.6 M posts on Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus, we've concluded that how you distribute your social posts...
- What Your Website and a Great Book Should Have in Common
With real-time personalization, your website can share many of the same characteristics of a best-selling novel - including the ability...