News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Facebook looks outside of socnet to better target ads
Facebook users don't mind seeing ads on the social network, as long as those ads are relevant. While Facebook currently discovers users' interests via activity on the social network, that is set to change.
Facebook will soon begin using users' browsing activity outside the social network to target ads. This will be the first time Facebook has strayed outside of the network's boundaries to influence targeted ads.
The company announced the changes to targeted advertising late last week.
"Today, we learn about your interests primarily from the things you do on Facebook, such as Pages you Like," says Facebook in a blog post. "Starting soon in the US, we will also include information from some of the websites and apps you use."
In the same blog post, Facebook announced they are giving users more control over the ads they see with the introduction of an ad preference tool. The tool will be accessible from all ads on Facebook and will allow users to add and remove interests to further tailor their ad experience on the network.
Image via Shutterstock
- Reports show upswing for connected TV, downswing for pay
- Study: Smartphone viewers more likely to click
- How technology can improve the classroom
- Campaign launched to increase awareness of role of ads in funding free online editorial
- Retail Internet of Things spend forecast to reach $2.5 billion by 2020
- Vloggers under-utilized by brand marketers targeting Millennials
- Report: Mobile web use doubles
- Ad Roundup: Tools to improve experience
Featured White Papers
- Why Marketing Should Be Personal
Read our report, Why Marketing Should be Personal, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to learn why 700 marketers ranked personalization...
- Digital Trends 2015
Download the 2015 Digital Trends report, created in partnership with Econsultancy, to see the trends and tools you need to...