News by Topic
- Search Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Loyalty Marketing
- Mobile Marketing
- Social Marketing
- Viral Marketing
- Trends & Ideas
- Internet Marketing 101
Euclid: Retail traffic down, conversions up
Shoppers are doing more than looking in windows. That is the takeaway from new data out from Euclid Analytics. According to their May research while traffic to stores was down 11% for the month, actual store conversions increased.
Euclid's analysis indicates the May conversion increases Mother's Day had a strong impact on sales, but also notes that retailers were more promotional this May than in May of 2013, which may have driven sales higher, as well.
Some interesting takeaways from the report include:
• Total general merchandise sales increased 5% YoY
• Clothing/apparel sales increased 7% YoY
• Shopper traffic was down 11% YoY
• Time spent in-store increased 6%
• Repeat visits decreased 1%
"The best day of the month [for retailers] was Thursday [May] the 29th, with outperformance across all metrics. The worst day of the month was Sunday [May] the 4th, which saw significant underperformance in traffic. In addition, fewer than expected repeat shoppers were seen on this day," writes the company.
Looking a bit farther back, comScore data shows an overall increase in digital spending from shoppers. Through Q1 2014 comScore reports Americans spent just over $56 billion online; that is an increase of 12% year over year. Mobile commerce, meanwhile, surged to $7.3 billion, an increase of 23% YoY.
comScore chairman emeritus Gian Fulgoni said, "As we look ahead to the remainder of 2014, we hope that signs of improved consumer sentiment and a strengthening job market will help further bolster digital commerce. In addition, with several key consumer tech product upgrade cycles and new product introductions expected in the back of the year, there would appear to be continued momentum for the market throughout the year barring any unforeseen economic troubles."
Image via Shutterstock
- How travel brands can do more with data
- Expert: What retailers need to know about EMV
- Study: Utility apps take most of ad spend
- Holidaymakers swindled out of £2.2 million in 2014
- Brits warming to biometric technology for online banking access
- Banks missing out by focusing mobile banking ads on television
- Top 3 tips to add personality to your targeting
- Will 2015 be The Year of Mobile?
Featured White Papers
- Analyzing the Value of Responsive Design Can Be Messy
Responsive web design is an integral part of customer engagement in our multi-device world. But the additional costs and resources...
- Mobile Email Guide: Design strategies to help you capture mobile clicks
On average, about 40 percent of e-mail opens come from mobile devices and tablets. Mobile subscribers are less engaged because...
- Avoid these common pitfalls when choosing a cloud CRM
Organizations are frequently turning to SaaS solutions for their CRM needs. But there are risks when deploying any solution at...
- 2015 Social Marketing Planning Guide
2015 is going to be a great year for social marketers, but to make the most of it you'll need...